S-Video Problem On Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Timbo21, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi All,

I.ve just tried hooking up the s-video output of Sky+ to:-

1. My Sony RDRHX900
    2. My projector via a Denon 3805 amp which upconverts to component

Both times I'm just getting a black & white picture.

Any ideas anyone?

2. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    timbo i use a js rgb to component converter to connect sky+ to sp 7205 beats svideo hands down

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A faulty s-vid cable? Check that one of the pins in plugs isn't bent.

4. Grahamhyde

Grahamhyde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have the exact same problem.

In my instance I now have a Panasonic PWD7 plasma with component board including an S-Video connector. Only the S-Video input works though.

I now have the same connections as my CRT, using Sky RGB to S-Video into amp, S-video out of amp.

The picture is now B&W. I am thinking the only solution is JS RGB to Component converter (if I can get my component input to work!!)

5. jimi_h

jimi_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a possible solution. I have not tried it myself but it is suppose to work.

THE SOLUTION !!!

OK, I had the same problem and I was severely narked as I had just spent 20 quid on an S-Video cable and a converter to SCART only to discover it was in Black and White.

After looking through all of your forum answers and finding no help whatsover, I went for a bit of creative thinking. I read somewhere that if your TV doesn't support S-VHS in through the SCART socket then only the luminance will get through into the composite in. I got to thinking that if I could force the chrominance in through the same pin then I would have composite in. After looking around I found the pinouts for the S-Video cable. If you have a cable with four pins, the chrominance and luminance pins are the two at the top (assuming you look at the pins with the plastic key at the bottom. Simply get some fuse wire (or a paperclip, or some tin foil, or whatever) and strap these two pins together. Simply create a link between the two, plug it back into the SCART plug converter thingy and, hey presto, colour output.

I hope this helps you all. If it does thanks to TheRrippa.

TheRrippa. (Copied and pasted)

6. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I went for a bit of creative thinking. I read somewhere that if your TV doesn't support S-VHS in through the SCART socket then only the luminance will get through into the composite in. I got to thinking that if I could force the chrominance in through the same pin then I would have composite in. After looking around I found the pinouts for the S-Video cable. If you have a cable with four pins, the chrominance and luminance pins are the two at the top (assuming you look at the pins with the plastic key at the bottom. Simply get some fuse wire (or a paperclip, or some tin foil, or whatever) and strap these two pins together.

Er ... the what goes where now?

Exactly the same problem. Scart to S-vid is black n white. At the moment im using Component/composite thingy and it seems fairly clear to me.

Now with the fact that i have no idea about AV cables, including making one, can I just buy the correct S-Vid cable/converter? If so, does anyone have a link to one for a stoopid person like me? As im reasonably happy with the component/composite thingy doo-dar anyway, would it be worth me changing to S-vid?

This is coming from my Sky+ box to a scart switcher box (picked up from Maplins I think for about 15 nuggets) and going through one of those little rectangle scart one side - s-vid the other jobbies.

Cheers for any input!

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Doesn't that defeat the whole object of having s-video (i.e. keeping the luminance and chrominance separate) ?

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    If you put s.video into an composite/rgb socket you will get black and white pictures.

Grahamhyde - if you are simply using a cable with s-video at one end and scart at the other you are trying to pass an RGB signal into an s.video port hence the B&W issue. Do you have Sky or Sky+ - if you have + then you simply need to get an s.video to s.video cable and bobs your uncle.

If you have the non+ version then you have more expensive routes to go. You could either get a RGB->S.video or RGB->Component convertor (the latter would make more sense) or alternatively get a scart to composite cable, turn your sky box to composite rather than RGB and hook it up through the AVR - would work but probably give a significant drop in picture performance.