S-Video over SCART?

Moongit

Novice Member
Reaction score
This is about my older Samsung LE40C530, but I suppose it's a general question about TVs.

Basically I plugged a SCART adapter into my tv's one and only SCART socket labelled "EXT (RGB)" and connected an S-Video input to it not expecting it to work, but it did. However when I compared the S-Video input to the same source over composite, it looked identical.

I wasn't expecting a huge difference in quality but did at least expect there to be some. I've had a look at the adapter and it's correctly wired up for S-Video (though it is a cheap and cheerful thing). The source is absolutely definitely outputting S-Video too.

So anyone got a clue as to what's the deal here? Only thing I can think of is maybe the tv doesn't support S-Video over SCART, but Samsung built it so rather than just not working at all or showing a black/white picture, the tv is taking the S-Video signal and converting it to Composite before upscaling and displaying?

Is that even a thing? I can't see any other reason why it would work but look absolutely no different from the composite signal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom