S-video over a Digisender

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sted, May 12, 2005.

1. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been running a Media Center with 2 NTL boxes for about a month and unlike most am actually very pleased with the picture over s-video to scart into my 32" CRT tv (it seems to be just as good as the NTL Digital picture). So, yesterday i decided to try and get my Digisender (previously sending from NTL box) into the loop so i can enjoy MCE in my bedroom. The problem is a black and white picture in my bedroom which i was kind of expecting. Now, if this is just because my tv in my bedroom doesn't take an s-video signal through the scart socket i can get round it. However, if the digisender doesn't carry an s-video signal then it gets a bit more complicated. So, the question is, does anyone know if digisenders can carry an s-video signal?
    If they can't, does anyone know if there's such a thing as a composite scart break-out box so i can retain the s-video signal into my lounge tv but then have the digisender send a composite signal?

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    How much was your digisender? With a bit of creative cabling at both ends (nothing at all complicated) you could buy another digisender and then send the full blown s-video signal (and two different stereo audio signals too ;) )

3. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for reply. I got it about 3 years ago - i think it came to about £70. I take it from your reply that it won't be able to send s-video on it's own then? To be honest, it's only a 14" rubbish tv in the bedroom so am not bothered about the quality that much - i'd rather just send a composite signal through than have to buy another digisender. So, on that note, would the composite break out be feasible? If so, any idea where i can buy what i need?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Digisender (and all other makes) will only send compsite.

You may be able to get a "Y" splitter that is usually for ATI cards. This should present a composite RCA socket and an s-video socket.

Dave

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    An interesting solution but I don't think the sender would quite have the bandwidth for the 's' signal anyway.

Mike.

6. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Erm..... doesn't s-video have precisely twice the bandwidth of composite due to using two separate components of a composite signal - both the luma and the chroma elements individually surely have the same bandwidth as a composite signal :smashin:

7. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case any of you are interested i successfully got a colour version of MCE on my bedroom tv last night. Went for a scart plug with an s-video/audio breakout, an s-video to composite adapter, and a composite to scart which went into the digisender . . .

8. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    I had thought of that but I understood it to be a bit more than double. Dixons were/are doing a Matsui sender for a tenner so it'd be cheap to try ;)

Mike.