s video output on any on digital boxes?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Duncan Harvey, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?

Due to the incompetance of the builders of my new flat, my DTV choices are reduced to one - ITV Digital.

I'm keen to get a box asap and will be using either my SVHS or DVHS vcr's for recording.

WHilst I'm aware that I can get a box of tricks to decode the RGB to S-video (and hence get better recording than merely passing a composite signal to the VCR's) I'd really like to use the RGB output for watching on my TV.

My qyestion is therefore - do any STB's have S video out via the second scart so that I can use the RGB for watching and the S-video source for recording.

Thanks

Duncan

2. whittalc

whittalc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncan,

The only ITV Digital (nee ONdigital) box that appeared as though it was going to provide the S-Video (Y/C) output via it's VCR SCART socket was the Nokia DVB-9850T.

Based on getting hold of the user manual from the Nokia web site and confirming that this was the case (it talked about going into the menus and configuring the TV SCART for RGB or composite and the VCR SCART for S-Video or composite) I ensured that I got one of the Nokia boxes for my retired parents. (As I now live in Canada, but have a multi-standard Pioneer 50" widescreen TV, I planned to buy them an S-VHS VCR so that they could tape some of those "real" widescreen programs for me.)

I'm sure that when we first installed the Nokia box the option to change the VCR SCART output was enabled. However, we didn't have an S-VHS VCR at the time and so left it as composite to my an aging Grundig VHS machine.

However, the bad news is that I think ONdigital forced Nokia to disable this feature in a later software update. I'm sure that it was the update to enable the new digital teletext services that actually disabled the menu option to configure the output of the VCR SCART...the option still appeared in the menu, you just couldn't select it to change it -- it is fixed as composite PAL video.

When I called ONdigital (as it was at the time) about this they initally claimed that none of their boxes were capable of outputting an S-Video signal. When I referred them to page 25 of the Nokia user manual, where it describes how to change the output of the VCR SCART between S-VHS (S-Video) and composite PAL I, they claimed that it was an error in the manual, and that only the prototype Nokia receivers were ever able to do this but that none of the production models had this ability. My feeling was that none of the production models were now capable of doing it after they forced Nokia to disable it with an over-the-air software update.

I even wrote an e-mail to Nokia's customer service department in Swindon asking for clarification, since ONdigital were also now saying that the Nokia DVB-9850T receivers didn't have the "hardware" needed to output an S-Video signal through the VCR SCART. I never received an answer -- maybe because they didn't want to contradict their "customer", now that ONdigital were actually buying all the boxes themselves for the "free loan" scheme.

Since all the digiboxes (ITV Digital, SkyDigital, and even the digital cable boxes) seem to provide the TV output in either RGB or composite PAL, there doesn't seem any good reason for not enabling the customer to choose whether their VCR output is S-Video or composite PAL.

We just need a lot more people complaining to these companies about the lack of that feature so that they perhaps sit up and take notice.

But, for the time-being, it looks like you're out of luck. Sorry!

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncan.<br />Please see top right of page 173 of Setember issue of What Video & TV for RGB to S-Video Converter or go to <a href="http://www.rgbtosvideo.com" target="_blank">www.rgbtosvideo.com</a><br />This should enable you to record good quality S-video signals from your ITV Digital box.