1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S video output from av receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ayrton, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I use my Sony STR1070 to get surround sound from tv, satellite and a dvd player. For video the extra boxes are connected straight to the TV in a chain via scart sockets.

On the back of the Sony some of the inputs accept s-video as well as 3-phono, and there is an S-video 'monitor' output which can be connected to the tv with an S-video to scart lead. This will allow me to connect my digital camera to the s-video in on the front of the Sony and hopefully achieve a higher quality signal than using the phono's on the front of my tv.

My question is, whilst I am about it will I be better off connecting all my devices to the Sony via scart-to-Svideo or whatever is relevant and then watching everything through the Sony's s-video output? Is s-video better than scart or just different?

My tv has two scarts so the s-video connection I am making for the benefit of my camcorder need not be instead of the existing scart arrangment. Keeping these old leads will also retain the facility to watch tv without the receiver on. However is it worth buying the extra leads to connect sat/dvd etc to the receiver via s-video as well?

2. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The shortest cable route with the least number of conversions/switches gives the least signal degredation, so no, I wouldn't bother routing video signals through your amp.

Without going in to the which is better, s-video or rgb debate, stick with RGB (which you can't route through your amp)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    'Better' might mean 'produce the best image' or it might mean 'more convenient'.

Routing everything via the amp IS much more convenient. And the end-result may degrade the signal either not at all, insignificantly, or badly. With high quality cables and a decent reveiver, it is normally somewhere between 'not at all' and 'insignificantly' ie you just can't see any difference.

Without going into the 'is RGB better than SVideo' debate.

You could always try it, and see whether or not the resulting image is as good as you need it to be.......