1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S video out

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by paiger, Feb 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be a stupad question but I'm thinking of getting a Sharp 2000 SVHS VCR and hooking to my TV's AV2 (Svid) scart socket with an Svideo to Scart lead. Will this play standard tapes OK or can I only send Svhs signals from the svideo out? For example, if I record a program from my Sky box (connected to scart on VCR) in composite video, can I play that through the Svideo out to my TV. I think it should be OK but I always seem to end up with black and white when mucking about with the settings on my DVD.

S

2. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Paiger

You should be able to operate this way without problems but do not expect to get picture improvement without recording from an S-VHS source.

Why don't you get an RGB converter for your Sky box and feed your tape with S-VHS!

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC S-VHS connected to AV2/S-VIDEO, plays VHS tapes ok. You get a slightly better picture watching VHS tapes through S-VIDEO than you would through composite.
    You record SKY in composite, recorded on to a S-VHS tape (approx 400 lines, VHS are about 240) then output via S-VIDEO.
    Digital recordings are better with S-VHS tapes.
    The reason for this could be, if youv'e got the DVD connected to AV1 RGB and switch the DVD player to S-VIDEO it will only play in black and white.
    AV1 is 9/10 RGB and Composite only, AV2/AV3 etc are composite and S-VIDEO, then some TV's require you to go into the menu and configure it to S-VIDEO, this does vary on different sets, worth checking.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks, got it all sorted now. I would like to use an RGB Svid converter but my Sky box only has one RGB out and this goes to the TV, the other is composite. THe other problem is that the Svid in on the Sharp is on the front and I don't want leads hanging out everywhere so I'll just record in comp I spose.

S

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    DO consider the converter.

I recently purchased one and it makes a BIG difference to the SVHS recorded quality.

I have leads 'hanging' out of the front of my VCR too, although I could use AV2 on the rear of the VCR, as this can be configured to input S-Video. I would need an S-Video mini-din to SCART lead for this (Converter to VCR), which I'll get round to buying in the future.

Don't know if you can configure the SCARTs on the Sharp model but you can on most of the JVCs, which btw, give an excellent SVHS picture. I have the HRS-8850 model.

6. vgmf

vgmf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try these guys >> http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

I have one of their RGB to Svideo convertors and it is brilliant. they also do an active video buffer which will take a single RGB scart in and then produce two perfrct RGB scarts out. You could then attach a convertor to each ,and then run to the TV and one to the video.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a minute my neighbours are going to ask why their lights keep dimming when I watch TV. Thanks for your input guys, I'm coming up with a solution using the converters and will look at JVC vids. I wanted the Sharp because it's full size, cheap and matches my gear in colour. Supposed to be no mean performer too.

Cheers

S