1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video or scart?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Ayrton, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I use my Sony STR1070 to get surround sound from tv, satellite and a dvd player. For video the extra boxes are connected straight to the TV in a chain via scart sockets.

On the back of the Sony some of the inputs accept s-video as well as 3-phono, and there is an S-video 'monitor' output which can be connected to the tv with an S-video to scart lead. This will allow me to connect my digital camera to the s-video in on the front of the Sony and hopefully achieve a higher quality signal than using the phono's on the front of my tv.

My question is, whilst I am about it will I be better off connecting all my devices to the Sony via scart-to-Svideo or whatever is relevant and then watching everything through the Sony's s-video output? Is s-video better than scart or just different?

My tv has two scarts so the s-video connection I am making for the benefit of my camcorder need not be instead of the existing scart arrangment. Keeping these old leads will also retain the facility to watch tv without the receiver on. However is it worth buying the extra leads to connect sat/dvd etc to the receiver via s-video as well?

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    SCART is simpy a connector that can carry S-Video (amongst other things). Quality wise it will be the same as using the S-Video mini din socket on the TV.

You're better off using RGB SCART for your DVD and STB as this will give a better pic than S-Video.

As your TV has only one RGB SCART (?), AV1 then you'll need to use a SCART switch box to connect them both OR....

if your VCR has a second SCART, you could loop the DVD through this or vice versa if your DVD has a second SCART input.

HTH

3. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another consideration is video switching at the AMP. If you had your DVD and SKY video signal running via s-video in your amp and audio connected as normal, switching the source of the amp will switch picture and audio together.

If you use RGB scart for the video signal, and have sound only routed through your amp, the amp source only selects sound, so you have to select sound separately to video (which typically auto switches using rgb/scart).

However, not all sky boxes have s-video out, and only s-vhs vcrs do the same, so you may not be able to use s-video/amp switching for all sources anyway !

AND RGB over scart is supposedly a higher quality picture than s-video anyway.

Perhaps one day someone will make an AV amp that switches everything via rgb-enabled SCART, but this is a very euro-requirement, so it'll never happen....

4. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The DVD is connected to the amp via optical. I know now thats not as good as the coax (thanks for the advice Richer Sounds :mad: ) but presumably it carries a good enough signal for both audio and video?

The satellite is connected for audio via 2 phono to 2 phono (it occurs to me - how have I been getting 5.1 sound out of this cable???) I am working on the assumption that I would need a good quality Scart-to-SVideo and 2 phono if I want to put the picture through the amp too. There are no alternatives on the back of my satellite box.

The camcorder connects direct to SVideo and 2 phono to ports on the front of the Amp. I have leads that came with the camcorder (a Sony TRV25) but I dare say I would benefit by buying decent gold plated replacements. There are 3 phono connections (but no svideo) behind a front flap on my telly but they do not do the camcorder picture justice. An Svideo to scart converter came with the camera but this looks cheap and would require fiddling round the back of the telly every time anyway.

I am proposing to connect all this to the TV via a SVideo-to-scart lead. Then I can watch and listen to any of my devices via the amp on AV2 of my telly and all will be switchable from the amp remote. This seems very neat.

Furthermore since there are 2 scarts on DVD, satellite and TV I can also keep them all connected to AV1 on the telly for those less important, don't really need the surround sound kind of moments.

I know this posting is long and if you've got this far thank you for your patience. However when you add it all up I've shelled out quite a bit for all these devices and I don't want to spoil it all by getting the connections wrong, so if any of you have any suggestions about how to improve this plan please let me know.

Cheers!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unless your devices put out the s-video signals via scart, which they don't (VHS can't, sky prob.not, DVD not) you won't get a signal from a scart to s-video lead, or if you do it will be composite. Daisy chaining your scart devices together and using the RGB capable scart on the tv, with sky set to rgb will give the best results. Even the VHS should PASS THROUGH the rgb signal, most will, and the non-rgb socket on sky will, so then those devices that are RGB capable will be rgb, and the VHS will be as good as they ever are. You can always do just the dvd and sky to rgb and vid to scart 2 if it doesn't seem good.

Scart is awfully clever, but an awful connector. The clever bit is it should now auto switch. When you are watching sky, and start a dvd, it will display DVD. Stop that, and press play on the VHS it will show that, turn them off and you are back to sky.

Audio, just wire up to the back of the amp, and select your audio source. You will find, in fact, that the audio is carried in scart too, so you'll be completely confused. Luckily most amps will select a digital source if there is one, or you may have to tell it to do so, check manual, so you get DD or DTS from the DVD.

If that's what you've got now, well done! This also gives a minimum of wires, they're a nightmare with home cinema.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    :confused:
    Not true, optical is as good as coaxial and it doesn't carry video, just digital audio.

You haven't been getting 5.1 through the 2 phonos, just pro-logic. You'll need an optical/coaxial lead for 5.1.
    Do you have Sky+? as this (at the moment) is the only way you'll get 5.1 from ANY digital broadcast system.

Yes, there is a MUCH better alternative, RGB SCART, better pic quality and you won'y have to turn on your amp (which may degrade the S-video signal anyway) everytime you watch TV.

Of course, as your DVD doesn't have RGB SCART, then you'll have to use S-video to SCART from the DVD DIRECT to the TV.

Look beyond your amp as a way of connecting the video signaals to your TV. Direct RGB scart IS a better way.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The only downer is that camcorder, I'm afraid that as probably the least used device, you'll have to grovel unless you buy a scart switch unit. They're not expensive, and you won't notice the signal degradation on an ordinary size CRT, bigger pictures might show it up though.

8. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for your answers chaps, it sounds as though apart from upgrading a couple of cheap phono leads for better ones I'm about there anyway.

What does confuse me is why my amp is so absolutely LADEN with S-video ins and outs, since its not that good an idea to use them?

Also do DVD's not have RGB scart? My DVD has 2 scarts, surely one of them has RGB output? Is there anything which would influence which way around the DVD and Sat should be chained? I have the Sat going through the DVD at the moment...

Incidentally I don't have a VCR plugged into this mess. I can't bear to watch videos anymore, the quality is unbearable :eek: My VCR is ancient, and what with the massive receiver sitting under the telly as well as the DVD and sat there's no room for anything else!

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    It's easier than I thought.

I thought your DVD didn't have a SCART !

It should be RGB (check the manual).

If so then simply connect it to th esecond SCART on the STB and then from there to AV1 on TV, voila both RGB SCART.

The camcorder simply connects into the front av inputs.

You have one of the simplest set ups I have 'seen' and is very straightforward.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RGB is often a software option, every time i unplug my DVD i need to reset the software options. You might need to rethink the idea for optimum quality, The Amp has S-vid for conveiniance, but will and noise as all switching will. There are loads of connections threads so you might want to search if you are getting confused. I have a JVC 4-way from dixons :blush: scart block that auto swithes the RGB signal as my TV has only 1 RGB Scart:mad: :mad: :mad: and i have 3 RGB devices I dont notice any degradation of the signal.