S-video or scart?

Neil J B

Standard Member
I'm gonna buy a couple of new cables tommorow (DVD-AV, AV-TV) and I don't know whether to get S-video or Scart. For the same price(theoretical budget of £25 per cable) which will give the best results?

My tv is a toshiba rear projection, my amp is a yamaha dsp-a1 and my dvd player is a toshiba sd-110e (old and in need of upgrade).

Does having the picture going through the amp give any loss in quality, would I be better off just buying one more expensive cable?

Thanks in advance

Bat-man

RGB enabled scart should give a better picture than S video.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
A SCART connector can, depending on the way you have the various bits of equipment configured (via menus) and/or their abilities, carry any of: Video, SVideo, RGB (plus stereo audio).

An SVideo connection will carry - Svideo.

In order of preference (quality);

* RGB
(then a small, often unnoticeable drop to)
* SVideo
(then a much more marked drop to)
* Video (aka CVBS, Composite).

Theoretically, passing your video sgnal through an amplifier will degrade it. In practice it rarely makes any perceptible difference and can be very convienient.

So: If you want to route via your amplifier, and if it will pass RGB, then use RGB (from SCART). Otherwise use Svideo - you'll probably see no difference.

If routing via your amplifier isn't a priority, use RGB.

Peter J Roberts

Standard Member
I myself have a simular set up I send RGB scart from my SKY+ to my DVD recorder then another RGB scart to My RPTV.

Both Items are also linked to my amp via s-video which is (in may case) linked to my TV via component video

Basically I dont think you should spend your life savings on scarts but two good £30-40 pound ones to link up ether direct to TV as many would advocate or Via a DVDr as I have. Then later if you like link each(using cheaper s-vids) the amp and use one Good s vid(to scart)from the amp to the tv (I say a good one here as you may in future be linking many Items via the amp).

Neil J B

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm not sure if my tv is compatible with RGB scart, the model number is 40pw13p. Anybody know if my tv can do RGB?

Peter J Roberts

Standard Member
Neil J B said:
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm not sure if my tv is compatible with RGB scart, the model number is 40pw13p. Anybody know if my tv can do RGB?

It not that old a TV it will have RGB and you should be using it go into the service on you sky box and enter 1) picture setting and set the video output to RGB, Im sure your tv will take it If the picture goes a funny colour let us know.

Neil J B

Standard Member
Thanks for the tip, my sky looks better and now I know my tv does RGB.

Does the fact that s-video is 800x600 resolution not make it have better image quality?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
SVideo is not 800x600. (Where did you get that from?)

The maximum resolution from any (normal i.e. not HiDef etc) TV signal is {something} x 576 (for PAL TV as used in Europe) and {something} x 480 for NTSC (US and Japan) regardless of the method by which it is carried (i.e, RGB, Svideo etc).

{something} in each case is the number of times a scanline can change shade along its length. And this is dependent not on the signal protocol, but on the medium by which the source is carried. In digital media this is precise - 720 for DVD for example. In analog media it is less precise and is somewhere around 240/250 for regular VHS, 350-400 for SVHS (note - not SVideo), and up to 500 for Laserdisc.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom