S-Video or RGB (Scart) from my DVD

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by borchgrevink, Dec 18, 2003.

1. borchgrevink

borchgrevink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a great quality difference here?

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try it and see.

Really.

There are those that will (understandably) advise you to take the RGB route; but it isn't always the best.

In my own case, I find a wide variation between both the cables and the hardware connected to my several years-old Toshiba television.

RGB gives a sharp and mostly pleasing picture (there's a few 'artifacts'), but one lacking in vibrancy.

I have four sources connected via s-video and all can provide a wonderful, stable image, with pleasing colour and detail.

Although it is 'only' a 29"/74cm screen, it's large enough to see 'faults' on playback and I can confidently say that whilst running via s-video, I can imagine the majority of people would be hard pushed to know which source they were viewing, if asked. Even those knowledgable in terms of RGB, s-video etc... :laugh:

In some ways (on this television), RGB is better; but in terms of the finer parts of RGB viewing, the gap in quality between it and a good s-video source is far less than the void between s-video and composite viewing.

Sorry, but it really is best to try for yourself :smashin:

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Andy's right - different players and TVs interact differently.

Technically, however, RGB should be the best (it doesn't require any conversion at the TV end, as it can go straight to the tubes). So the DVD player has to do some DSP but the TV doesn't

Component which you've not mentioned is similar to RGB but basically the opposite - DVD pictures are stored in this format so the DVD player doesn't have to do any conversion but the TV does.