S-video or Composite

jaymac

Novice Member
I have some footage on basic VHS tapes should or can I transfer these to my DVD recorder via S-video both units have S-video connections.would there be any quality gain Or is it just as well using normal composite.

A

Analogue

jaymac said:
I have some footage on basic VHS tapes should or can I transfer these to my DVD recorder via S-video both units have S-video connections.would there be any quality gain Or is it just as well using normal composite.
The S-Video connection will give the higher picture quality. Remember that the S-Video cable only carries video and separate audio conections will have to be made usually with Phono leads

B

Bobby Jones

Sorry to be a pedant, but S-video would not give you better quality as standard VHS is not a yc source, if anything you could argue that splitting the signal is a deteriation, I would personally opt for ordinary composite to avoid any synching issues between different cable runs & conversions.

A

Analogue

Bobby Jones said:
Sorry to be a pedant, but S-video would not give you better quality as standard VHS is not a yc source, if anything you could argue that splitting the signal is a deteriation, I would personally opt for ordinary composite to avoid any synching issues between different cable runs & conversions.
It is irrelevant what the picture source is whether it's VHS, S-VHS, Video8, Hi8, DV, DVD, PC graphics etc - none of these can be classified as a "Y/C source". Its the subsequent treatment by the player electronics of the monochrome and colour information of the signal that delivers the YC or other video transfer protocol. The only major difference between VHS and S-VHS or Hi8 is that in the latter two the colour subcarrier recorded on the tape is of a higher frequency and has a greater bandwidth which combined with a higher bandwidth monochrome component gives the higher quality. The S-video Y/C protocol was developed in order that this improved quality could be transferred from the player to other devices such as the viewing TV or another recorder etc.

I always play my standard VHS tapes on my S-VHS VCR and can see a small but definite improvement in PQ using a S-Video connection over composite. I have not experienced any synch issues in the 8 years I have been doing this and this includes direct transfer to a DVDR. As for cabling its one composite cable or one S-video cable.

senu

Novice Member
Bobby Jones said:
Im not as technosavvy as Analogue ;) but in my experience of importing and editing analogue sources in the last few years I have used the s-video connection on the Pinnacle Pro One™ breakout box into Adobe Premiere, and more recently the s-video input on Avid Liquid Pros' BOB with both Liquid Edition 6.1™ and Avid Liquid 7™ software .
Compared to composite , PQ from S-video has without exception been a lot better thru both hardware.

I dont think the VHS tapes or Hi-8 camcorder tapes Ive used are "Y/C" sources

I have not experienced synching ( out more accurately: a/v out of sync) issues. Perhaps Ive been lucky but I know people who have experienced this problem even when using composite
Im not sure how this will behave in a DVD recorder but
1) PQ with S-video over composite will be better
2) as for A/V synch issues : you can always try either connection on a short run to see if it shows up
HTH

senu

Novice Member
:eek: .....Im running off!! ( Faster than Asafa Powell) huff..puff !!:rotfl:

Bobby Jones said:
do you want some? Eh? Do you?
No...I sooo dont (really) want some,:suicide:
Im henpecked enough at home as it is::blush:

:offtopic: Unlike the Z1 before it my Sony HC1 only has a choice of component or composite out sockets: Sonys proprietary s-video cable Im yet to order ( if ever) . Apart from playing the footage on a non-HDTV ( or component enabled display) the absence of s-video is no big loss but the difference between the component and composite is HUGE with DV and HDV footage

B

Bobby Jones

wise man! Don't mess.

When I'm doing live projection I take component outs, this is prior to any MPEG processing by the camera, the quality is amazing, even on 20ft screens.

Top Bottom