S-Video or component..???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Jim Pixel, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I bought a JVC LT-Z32SX5 32" LCD TV one week ago and hey I have to say I am impressed all-round with this unit. Up until just a couple of days ago, I have been using component cable (Video (Yellow) - Left (White) and Right (Red)), because that was all I had at the time from previous setups, but I decided to fit an S-Video cable for the video feed from the Sony RDR-HX910 recorder. Of course, I unplugged the RCA video cable and plugged in the S-Video cable and I have noticed quite a different quality in the viewed picture - some good and some not so good...

First, the picture looks marginally better, perhaps a little sharper but hardly noticable, when it comes to text and movies from the Sky digital decoder. Second, ordinary programmes like soaps and other series, look a bit more pastel than before. Studio footage looks out of this world, its magic, but for ordinary everday viewing, I reckon the component may have been a little easier on the eyes. I am only about 4m (12 foot) from the screen when in bed and watching and at this distance it is quite acceptable but any closer, such as when I am on the PC at about half the distance (alongside the bed) and the above symptoms are really noticable...

I always thought that S-Video cable would always be better, end of story. Is this normal...???

As a rule, I have never used S-Video cables before except when I want to record some of the games I play on the PC. The recorded games look a little washed out in colour but the quality from the PC 6600GT card is quite outstanding and detailed, and looks one hell of a lot better on this LCD screen when compared to the Philips 32PW4523-79R Widescreen TV I recently had...

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I think you're getting compoment mixed up with composite.

Component require three RCA cables (Coloured red, green & blue) and composite requires just one (yellow). Composite is the worst quality you can get for video (except maybe RF) and should be avoided at all costs. S-Video should always look better.

3. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes - you are right. I meant composite...

Funny thing is that when up close and I mean about 1.5 metres (5ft) away, composite did look better, but as you go back further the S-Video setup looks a lot better - I just tried it now to compare. Maybe I shouldn't say that composite looks better up close - more that it looks easier on the eyes at that distance but in actual fact it looks a little more blurry, more like the CRT look, whereas S-Video is a lot more "defined" and looks way better from a distance of about 3 metres (10ft) or more...

Mind you, during the initial setp while I played around with contrast, colour and brightness settings, boy did it change the way things looked. I can't be bothered resetting these. I am quite happy with this set the way it is...

Anyway,, thanks for the relpy...

4. smallmanongn

smallmanongn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem lies in the fact that LCDs dont look their best close up,when you use composite and sit close it looks okay cause it is "smudged" together whereas the SVHS is sharper and you think it looks worse cause you are sat too close.