1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s video...... or component ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wawr, Jul 31, 2004.

1. wawr

wawr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, im just after some advice..
    I have a sanyo Z2 projector hooked up to a PIONEER 737 dvd player, i have a dedicated cinema room which is very dark, at present im using svideo, but been told COMPONENT would give me a much better picture, is this true ?? & also how much would a decent lead cost ?? i need about 1.5 mtr.
    Any advice would be a great help,im just wondering would i see any increase in picture quality..
    Thanks for your help...... byeeeeee !!!!!

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You would see a marked improvement in pic quality using component over s-video. I use Scorpion leads whenever possible, very good quality, and are all hand made and tested prior to shipping.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    wawr

All things being equal you should see a less processed image if you move from S-Video to YUV Component - edges will certainly look cleaner with less of the 'ringing' usually associated with S-Video.

A decent quality 2m 'Component' video cable will set you back £50.00 and upwards - I usually recommend/supply BetterCables Silver Serpent; though others on these forums manufacture and supply other brands.

I'd also suggest if you haven't done so already you spend £15 or so on a decent set-up DVD - see the AVIA thread in the PowerBuy forum.

Best regards

Joe

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello wawr,

have a look here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104551

If you only need 1.5 M, then that is only £55 from this forum :)

cables are made to whatever length you need.

All cables are hand made by myself, superb quality, and of course tested before despatch. You wont get better for £55 for 1.5M :)

The better cables silver reference might be better, not sure as I dont have one to compare.
    http://www.bettercables.com/silserrefcom.html

but is a little bit more expensive.

To really get the best from the Sanyo Z2, I would suggest trying a PC into the DVI socket, looks a lot sharper than component or s-video on the Z2's that I have seen and installed.

Not as easy to use as a DVD player though......

And as Joe says, try a calibration DVD to tweak the best out of it !

Good luck,

Mark.