1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s video or component?,no groans please!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by reevesy, Apr 29, 2005.

1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    i know this is a bit of a no brainer but i'm thinking of connecting a digi box via a rgb to component converter to my projector .i've got both component and s video cables installed but thought about using a scart to s video / L and R audio cable via my amp as a temp. measure until funds become available.question is, is the quality going to be massively improved using the converter or will an s video suffice as a cheaper option? if it makes any differance i'm probably only going to use it for box office movies and music channels.cheers in advance

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    reevesy

The key to your 'low cost' plan is the ability of your Source to actually Output S-Video - most SCART equipped Digibox units only Output RGB or Composite not S-Video.

A SCART to S-Video cable is wired to work with a Source that actually Outputs S-Video on the SCART socket - the cable cant 'convert' RGB or Composite to S-Video; if there's no S-Video 'Option' on the Source you wont get an image using a SCART to S-Video cable.

Best regards

Joe

3. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    looks like the component option sooner rather than later.
    chhers