1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video on N64 on a TV with no S-Video Input? Advise please...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by DragonQ, May 27, 2005.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just played Perfect Dark on the N64, and I cannot stand the Composite signal! It's so awful now that I'm used to the RGB Scart Cable I use for my Gamecube!

Unfortuantely, N64s don't have RGB-Out enabled, and this cannot be enabled even through modding on PAL N64s. So, I thought the next best thing would be S-Video, but my TV has no S-Video inputs... :(

I could by Composite/S-Video -> Scart Adapter but I'm unsure if this would work...would it give me a better picture, or would it just use a Composite signal through the S-Video cable? If I can't get S-Video through the Scart adapter, is there any way I can? With a S-Video -> RGB Scart converter box or something?

Thanks for any help..

2. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IT makes me wonder why Nintendo removed RGB. The only reason why scart connection for the SNES wasn't popular because back in those days most of us didn't have scart enabled TVs, and Nintendo were selling scart cables at a stupidly high price.
    I don't understand why the hack doesn't work fort the PAL N64. The NTSC machines could be modded fine, but I don't think many American TV's (in N64 days if not now) have RGB/scart ports, so what was the point?

4. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    the Pal N64 had RGB disabled to enable S-Video for some crazy reason.

Anyway S-Video os tonnes better than composite. Make sure you have a S-Video Cable where the video wire is atleast three times the thickness off the audio cables, I had two s-video cables, one all three wires were the same and it only passed a composite picture which looked naff.

see if your scart port accepts s-video, if it does get an s-video to scart convertor. you will be able to tell if its S-Video coming thru as all the text wont have wavey lines on its borders, and red doesnt looked washed out anymore. A good way to tell is if you have DK64 the title screen will look clear with S-Video but all wiggly lines appear and the red is washed out if you use composite

hope that helps.

PS. if not soft mod your xbox and run surreal on it, then you can have PD running at a faster framerate thru RGB or Component at 480P/720P/1080i!

5. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Does your TV not have an S-Video enables scart socket?

6. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been having similar problems - been feeding both my Gamecube and N64 through the same cable (having to chop and change every time i want to play something different) and i'm only getting a B&W picture though the Composite cable. i bought an S-Video cable and that made little difference - only slightly more colour. :confused:

Any idea where i can get a good quality cable for my PAL GC (its an old-style one with th Hi-Def (or whatever o/p it is!)
    :)

And a half-decent one for the N64 would be cool too :smashin:

Tom :)

7. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I remember needing an S-Video => SCART (RGB) converter for my US 3DO back in the mid/early nineties... It did the job and was certainly much better than composite (virtually as good as straight RGB, I reckon), but the unit needs it's own power supply and takes a good ten minutes to warm up (the picture would look washed out otherwise). Also, some of the first units I received would only output B&W. I just kept trying till I got a good one. :)

I'm not sure how much it cost me. But I seem to recall it was quite expensive... Maybe £70+ :rolleyes:

Could be a lot cheaper these days, though.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've got two N64s. One of my alltime favourite consoles and still rate Mario 64 as the greatest platform game of all time. In fact just starting to enjoy it again on the Nintendo DS. Anyway I converted a US N64 to RGB and found the RGB levels too low. Acceptable and better than composite but not great. I then found a RGB booster board and fitted that to a different US N64 and that works fantastically. If you want a decent N64 image either emulate on your pc or get a US N64 converted to RGB. Although I still have my UK N64 the images are fairly poor and s-video isn't ideal.

I believe the chroma (colour) signal of s-video is mapped to one of the RGB pins in a s-video enabled scart socket. I think its the red pin.

Note that many budget tvs have a RGB enabled first scart socket which will not work with s-video. You need to use the second scart socket for s-video.

Other sets have a fully enabled first scart socket which does both RGB and s-video but the second scart socket is composite only.

9. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, my TV only has one Scart Socket, which seems to be only for Composite and RGB (Tried S-Video and the picture has weird colour problems and interference worse than Composite pictures).

I guess I will have to emulate. I do have an emulator and a Perfect Dark ROM, but I have to use the good PC downstairs :( cos mine aint really good enough (plus I lose my 100% completed Profile!!).

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Check your tv manual regarding s-video. Some 1 scart tvs are also s-video compatible. However its fair to say most aren't. What make and model is it?

11. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    yea try going into the menu on your tv, and change the scart from composite/rgb to s-video.

my tv has three scart sockets, and if i want to use S-Video i have to change the socket to s-video in the menu

12. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The make/model doesn't exist anywhere on the internet. There is no mention of any SCART Sockets in the TV's Menu.

13. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    it may be labelled AV or EXT

14. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, there is definately no mention of any External Inputs (I have an advanced knowledge of PCs, so I'm no retard).

15. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    ok ok no need to get bitchy, if you had "an advanced knowledge of pc's" and worked in the support industry youd know you have to make things as simple as possible for people who cant figure things out for themselves

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Re S-Video vs RGB: in my experiences RGB always looks better, but on expensive equipment S-Video is almost as good. On my old CRT sets, S-Video was always desaturated in comparison to the RGB signal. On my LCD, the two are very hard to tell apart. RGB has the edge for being slightly crisper.

17. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    There's some info here about scart sockets;

http://www.acl.co.uk/pinouts.htm

It wouldn't be difficult to make a N64 s-video to scart cable by snipping off the s-video connector and phonos and wiring them up to a scart plug instead. Maybe the tv will look for a chroma signal on the red pin if there is no chroma signal on the normal composite pin connection. However I agree with Lyris that on cheaper tv's there often isn't much difference between composite and s-video anyway as the decoding electronics are a bit cheap/rough. More expensive sets do a much better job of seperating the red, geen and blue from the chroma colour signal. I have a Thomson 100hz set and s-video on that is very good indeed. Not much worse than RGB. However although I got it very cheap it was originally meant to sell for £700! a few years ago and has four hifi grade speakers and a rear firing subwoofer. 3 scart sockets (2 RGB) and front AV inputs. It also weighs about 52kg. Compare that to a basic 21" FST Hitachi I have that gives a superb RGB image but s-video is honestly no better than composite. You would struggle to tell them apart. I think the set just merges the signal into composite and then seperates it out again later. You really can't tell the difference.

18. pablo99

pablo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have just bought a lead from PC World which has Audio, Composite Video on a yellow phono, and S-video connectors on one end. At the other end is three connectors for X-Box, PS2 and Gamecube. I have chopped the TV end off and fitted a Scart and plugged this into my Viera plasma.

Works fine on X-Box and PS2. But the picture is crap on Gamecube and N64.

I thought that maybe the Gamecube didn't support S-video????

19. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The uk gamecube doesn't support s-video only RGB and composite where as the UK N64 only supports composite and s-video and no RGB.