1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video on LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by lz1cam, Mar 9, 2005.

1. lz1cam

lz1cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, in order to find out the best performing LCD to my personal preferences I decided to bring my DV camera and to preview my own footage on the TVs for sale. In the camera manual it is stated that the S-video provides the maximum picture quality but how about it on the LCD TV? May I assume that connecting my DV cam to the S-video input of the LCD TV I'll see what its max. quality capabilities are?

2. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your DV camera has a Firewire output I wonder if there's any means of directly sending Firewire to a DVI or HDMI input on an LCD? Maybe they're completely incompatible but if not then such a digital-digital path might in theory give the best picture. Any ideas anyone?

3. lz1cam

lz1cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firewire or 1394 is mainly used for digital video data transfer - video capture.
    So far I have not seen any firewire on TV set.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Not with standing subtle implementation differences, the order of best to worse are:

HDMI
    DVI-D
    Firewire/IEEE 1394/i-link
    Progressive Component YUV
    Component YUV
    RGB - some will argue that RGB is equivalent or better than component
    S-video
    Composite
    RF

If your DV camcorder only has S-video out, then that will be your best bet. Unless you can upscale the signal very well ie ££££, there is little if any to be gained trying to convert S-video into RGB for example.

TBH, even DV video is pretty poor quality even if transmitted over Firewire.

5. lz1cam

lz1cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK then. In any case I should expect decent PQ on the quoted LCD using the S-video, right? At least on my trusty CRT there are no obvious weaknesses using the camcorder through the S-video in.
    What really desperate me is the fact I walked through a number of TV shops offering LCDs and could see a different level of degraded image to what I'm used to see on my CRT. There is huge pixelisation, low colour bandwidth, and background freezing and sudden moves - abs unnatural.... This is certainly not the case when watching the same footage on CRT S-video and on PC screen via 1394.
    To me the LCD choice comes down not to choosing the best but the less spoiled PQ. I see lots of appreciation threads here on Tosh 32W48, Sony etc. and I'm really doubtful. Do the forum posters talk about the same devices I see in real?

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't know how big your CRT is and how close you were to the LCD's you were looking at, but with large high definition screens like LCD's and some plasma's, they are best viewed from a distance otherwise you can see some of the pixellation. The reason for this is that a standard 4:3 PAL image is 720x576 of visible information, give or take. When viewing on a large LCD, is would need to be scaled to 16:9 at something like 1280x768 or 1366x768 resolution so any defects in the source, such as DV compression, will be magnified. Some displays are better at doing this than others and some settings on a display can dramatically alter how the picture is processed. This will hopefuly explain the 'huge pixelisation' that you may see on some displays in some configurations.

Your comment about low colour bandwidth may be due to a number of factors. S-video has quite good bandwidth but not as good as RGB for instance and, as you say, it looks fine on your CRT. Most LCD's do have a certain look about them, slightly cold, washed out especially when compared to a CRT. This again is dependant on model to model and settings. Straight from their box, LCD's are normally set too bright making colours look washed out. With some tweaking, LCD's will have very vibrant colours, but they won't go as black as a CRT in a dark room.

However, your comments on background freezing and sudden moves is a bit odd. There is nothing about LCD technology that should be causing this unless noise reduction is working overtime to correct a poor quality input. Football is a classic for this when the grass can sometimes appear to get up and walk off. Turning off DNR should sort this.

I can't however recommend an LCD though for better PQ than a CRT. For SD and poor quality sources the CRT is going to look more natural, well, until you get a reflection on the screen. LCD's come into their own with decent quality SD or HD material watching at a comfortable viewing distance. That said, my DVD recorder is connected to my LCD display via composite connection. It is a very acceptable quality. If I told my wife that I could spend £30 on a cable to make it look even better, she would tell me not to bother.