S-Video on DVD Players

acullen

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a general enquiry about playing through S-Video. Currently my laptop is hooked up to my DVD player but there is a nasty 1/2 second delay. This is rather annoying when I want to use something on my PC. Just wondering if this is the same with other players or if it is just my cheap player.

If it is the latter, could anybody recommend a DVD player with good s-video use for under £100. The cheaper the better obviously but I don't want to sacrifice all quality.

could you elaborate on this - I use my laptop occasionally to capture stuff from s-video (using a usb capture card) and this will lag behind the live picture by a second or so - but this is because the capture card has to process and convert the signal to MPEG format - on the fly - a delay is inevitable

I'm not really capturing, i'm just using the s-video in on the dvd player to watch videos through media player on my TV.

If that makes sense

When you say "on my TV, do you mean TV or do you mean external PC monitor?

It does sound as though you are "capturing" off the DVD and then processing to your monitor (or TV?). Not capturing in the sense of saving from the DVD to hard disk, but the laptop is having to process the S-Video signal as pierrev says.

Basically my laptop is connected to my dvd player which is then in turn connected to my standard run of the mill TV.

I then use my TV to watch videos/use the internet which are being played on my Laptop.

I presume that you must have a good reason for playing dvd's via the laptop - as the quality is almost bound to suffer (as compared with going direct to the tv via scart) -

In answer to your question - I dont think any DVD player will get rid of the lag - as that is going to be created by the laptop -

just a thought, you are taking the sound via the laptop as well I presume ?

if not this would cause the picture and sound to go out of sync -

Yeah, the sound is also going through my dvd player. I don't use the laptop for my dvd's, just avi files and so on which can't be used on my dvd player

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom