1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video input on PD30 ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by iclarke, Aug 29, 2003.

1. iclarke

iclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone, my first post to this forum coming up and sorry if this is a stupid question !

I'm looking to buy a Panasonic PD30 32" in the next few days and want to connect my Toshiba SD220 DVD player via it's S-Video socket to the TV which I beleive supports S-Video. Can someone confirm that to do this I'm going to need a lead like this:

http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av12.html

I'm assuming the only connections on the TV are Scart sockets but that one or more of these can take an S-Video signal ?

Am I right in thinking S-Video would be the best option for picture quality, especially after reading about some possible issues with the PD30 and RGB ...

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming black crushing isn't a problem, then using component connections should give you the best picture.

John

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    From what I have seen, if you get black crushing problems via RGB you may also get them on component inputs as well. I tested a Panny 900 DVD system and the black crushing was the same via component as it was via RGB. Other users have reported the same for other DVD players such as the Tosh 330.

On the other hand there do seem to be some players e.g. HK 25, that have a better picture via component. One common theme appears to be that DVD players with pro scan don't seem to exhibit black crushing via component.

4. Turisu

Turisu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer your other questions; that lead should work fine, or you could just use a standard SCART-to-SCART and set your DVD player to send S-Video through it.
    And yes, 2 of the PD30's SCART sockets take S-Video input.

5. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ihave the PD30, how do I diagnose the black crushing problem?

6. iclarke

iclarke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replys.

I have to say I have NO idea what 'black crushing' is ...

7. Turisu

Turisu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many here are using an early scene in Star Wars:AOTC to check for black crushing. About 5 minutes in, it's the scene where Palpatine is sat in his chair with a brightly lit window behind him. If you have a black crush problem it will as if everything below his neck is black whereas if all is well you should be able to see all the detail of his clothing.