1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-VIDEO input from graphics card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dannyv, Jun 1, 2004.

1. dannyv

dannyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I need a bit of advice on interfacing my PC with a TV.

Currently using a graphics card with S-video output and all the cables I've tried (s-video to scart and s-video to composite) only give black and white output.

I've heard this is a limitation of my TV but is there a way round it i.e. is there a s-video to SCART/composite cable that will allow colour output?

If not is there a graphics card with a different output interface that would give output that my TV could view as colour? (DVI output is quite common these days, can this convert to scart?)

cheers.

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A black and white image is typically a sign of the input that's used on the TV not being switched to 's-video'. If available, you'll find it within the television's on-screen menus...

The other possibility is that the output is set to the wrong colour format e.g. NTSC vs. PAL. Changing this (via the advanced settings of Windows' 'display properties') to the correct format (if not already selected! :D ) could also solve the issue.

Dunno about the s-video to composite cable; but my Radeon card included an adapter (s-video to composite), so that may be worth trying if you have it (and a spare cable) around...

If you need more help, a forum search should return a lot of relevant information.

Good luck and I hope that helps :smashin:

3. dannyv

dannyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help but it doesn't seem that my TV can support s-video (atleast I can't find anywhere to allow it as input from the menus). If I were to track down a graphics card that outputs in composite (do you know of any) would the picture quality be noticably reduced?

4. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's likely that your TV supports it over one of the scart sockets. So you'd need an s-video to scart lead (they're directional) to go from your PC.
    Obviously this is assuming you've got a scart or two on your telly :)

Hope that helps
    Alex

5. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As I said, Radeon cards include a little s-video-to-composite adapter; but if that's no good and you're in the UK, you might like to try one of the forum sponsors. They just happen to sell such a thing.

Think 'TV'. Think 'cables'. Hmm...

:)

6. dannyv

dannyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help dudes :)

7. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    wot abot s video to s video has yer tv not got s video in ?

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No problem.

Good luck with it, danny :smashin:

We'll all be waiting... :hiya: