1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s-video Help please........

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ginga_dj, Jan 13, 2003.

1. ginga_dj

ginga_dj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have three pieces of equipment (PS2, Sky Digital,VCR and DVD) which I want to connect to my plasma.
    I am using a Toshiba wp27b. The DVD is a tosh sd520, so will use the component input. The PS can output Scart or S-video.... as can the Sky Digibox....the VCR is only composite.

Dilemma 1: if I plug the VCR and another s-video source into the plasma, one or the other will be disabled.....how can I switch between the sources without unplugging one?

Dilemma 2: I thought I might try and use the Amp (Sony STRDB830) to switch the video sources and output all the sources (PS2, Sky and VCR) through the monitor out (S-video) into the plasma..... can and will that work? (not sure if the monitor out does that).

I know I can also use an RGB Scart > VGA for the PS2 or the Sky Digibox, but that still leaves the problem of the s-video/composite exclusivity....

Anyone got any ideas please!

Thanks

2. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, totally stupid post, but i'm a ginger dj too, lol!

3. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ? Wouldn't have thought getting a scart to s-video lead would do the trick for the vcr because you have said it is only composite, and I suspect that the sony will expect an s-video signal on its s-video connection (so what you'd probably get is a black and white picture - try it but maybe keep the packaging of the lead so you can take it back)??

Instead I would have thought that the video would be connected to the straight forward video phono input on the sony for whatever source it is you want it to go into, and then if you're lucky the sony will convert the signal to s-video and output it on the monitor, but what is more likely is that it won't do this and so you'll have to connect the video monitor output to your plasma.
    But this then brings us to the exclusivity problem you mention.

Sounds like you saying that with your plasma you can't select either s-video or video input depending on what you want to watch? Can't think of many options with this, but one thing you could do is get a video to s-video converter box for the output from the vcr, and then use the switching in your sony on the s-video side and the monitor s-video out as you suggest. Alternatively output the PS2 and digibox in video also, and use the video switching in the sony using all the phono connection points, but this sacrifices picture quality which is never good!

I'm almost positive the answer to this is no, but does the digibox have a scart input, and can it output the signal from this in s-video?

4. ginga_dj

ginga_dj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the help so far. I think that using the Amp for S-video switching is the way forward. I will gamble on an adapter for the VCR (composite to S-video) and see if that works.

To answer your question Stubags, my Grundig Digibox has Both RGB Scart output and S-Video output, but as for Scart Input, I am not sure unless the VCR is already using this.

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, the PS2 can output component video.

You need the appropriate cable of course and may have to tweak a display option in the PS2 setup screen but that should be all you need.

Of course you may not have the ability to switch between two component sources, that depends on your amp/screen.

6. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a similar setup, and be careful, the Amp does not convert from composite to S-Video, and a simple adaptor will not work for the VCR.

The best way to do this is to use RGB output from the Sky and PS2 (need a new cable - cost me £4.99) into the JS Box RGB->VGA.

Then put the DVD into the component and the VCR into the Composite.

Any other solution is going to give you less than optimal picture on your plasma for each of the sources.

Kind Regards,

James

7. ginga_dj

ginga_dj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    James

Sounds like a good idea, but does the JS box allow switching between two VGA sources (PS2 and Sky)? or would I need some kind of manual switch?

8. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loopthrough my aux Scart on my DVD player, but some people use a switch box from Argos.

Alternatively, if your VCR Scart is free on the STB you could use that.

James