S-Video Gamecube?

R

ricdiggle

Hi,
I've now got 3 s-video leads for my gamecube and none of them work. I want to hook it up via my AV amp for convenience and the composite looks crap!
It is a UK machine and all my leads were bought in UK stores (not on-line)

Is there a menu or something that I'm missing? Or are they being sold as PAL when they are actually only for NTSC machines?

Any ideas?

TA,
Richard.

groundy

Standard Member
Richard - someone really should have told you this by now - especially the stores where you have been buying you S-Video Leads.

The PAL Gamecube does not support S-Video Out. Nintendo implemented RGB at the expense of losing S-Video though neglected to tell most people about it :rolleyes:.

The NTSC machines do output S-Video along with Component Video and RGB via a cable modification.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
The best solution is to buy an official RGB cable, you can then plug this into a SCART Splitter from Argos (Product code 534/0370). From here you can take a phono output to the amp.

I have this now for home set up, and I have not noticed any quality difference (except that a digital audio output from the Cube would be much better!). I use it for my Sky, DVD and Cube and am most happy with it.

R

ricdiggle

Excellent,
Well, bummer actually,
Thanks for the info gents.
Off to Argos.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
Thanks really to Neoblade who originally suggested the splitter to me :)

N

NeoBlade

Aww... shucks ^_^ Its a good way to get round a rather universal problem though.

Plus its nice to see that a normal phono + video switchbox will do to switch between Component cables (as tested by McPastry). Now I can hook up my DVD player, Gamecube, PS2 and (soon) Xbox via Component ^_^

BTW if you've still got those S-Video cables around just trade them in for an RGB cable, you should get some cash off the overall price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom