1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S video from tv to laptop

Discussion in 'TVs' started by doncorleone, May 8, 2003.

1. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ive just realised that my laptop has an s video port and i know my tv does. Is it possible with the right leads to get the picture from your laptop to transmit onto my tv? If so what does the quality tend to be like?

Cheers

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's OK. Can't use it for internet/word though- too blurred. Good enough for games/movies. Buy a good quality S-video lead though, a cheap one has lots of video noise, with a quality one there is hardly any noise. If you play movies on the laptop you'll probably get the problem of no movie image on the TV. If so set your primary display as TV and secondary display as laptop LCD. Restart media player on it'll work.

3. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'If so set your primary display as TV and secondary display as laptop LCD. Restart media player on it'll work.'

Thanks for the quick reply but how do you do this? Also will it work when playing movies in real one and things? Finally is it better to have s video (laptop) - scart (tv)

Cheers :smashin:

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right click on the windows desktop. Select Properties, settings, Advanced. There should be dual head/clone/dual view or something like that (depending on your video card)

It's really annoying you have to switch them over. When the TV is primary, LCD is secondary there is no movie image on the laptop screen. And vice versa. You only need to do this for movies though- for normal desktop use it'll output the same.

Just use a s-video to s-video cable. If you want high quality audio, use digital audio out from your laptop (if it's got one) or purchase one of these (only outputs 2 channel) I've got one myself, cos the headphone output sound awful..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3022837290&category=4786

5. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked under the advanced settings and couldnt see anything like that.

All ive got is general, adaptor, monitor, troubleshooting and color management

:confused:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Monitor is the tab you need probaly greyed out unless TV is connected, does with my Radeon Mobility card!

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just try out plugging it in first- and see if you get the windows desktop for now.

Try updating video card drivers, this might include option to change over, and perhaps a applet to quickly do this.

8. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alright cheers

would you count a Ixos XHV403 as being a good enough lead?

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, should be good enough. Don't go over 5M in length though, S-Video is not great for long runs (composite, RF, Component & RGB is much better for long runs)