s-video from htpc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Vixpy, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am designing the hcpc at the moment but have a monumental problem! my seleco will acpcept 640*480 through a vga to projector cable. but i can not use one of these as there is no room in my cable trunking anymore! (slight builder/customer communication issue!) i am thinking of running an s-video cable out of the ghraphics card s-video out and into the standard s-video link to the projector (via the amp which i use as a source switch) now due to the fact that i am passing a converted s-video signel and not a direct pc one to the projector , how does this affect my resolutions and will it look pants?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    The s-video signal will not be a prog scan one I'm afraid. So I can't see the benefit.

However, here's an idea. If you have trunking do you have enough space to pull out the cable that is there and run an alternative up it.

Option would be to run rgbhv to projector and get an external video convertor to turn everything to RGB and allow pass through of the progressive signal from the PC. You'd not be able to use the internal doubler in the projector for the other sources with this option though. Of course, you could always get a suitable video card and use Dtv software to scale those signals too.

Then the other option is to pull everything out and run the narrowest suitable cables for each signal type. I can advise more fully if you explain exactly what you have and what signals you need to get to the projector. That is if it's possible to remove the current cabling.

Gordon

3. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply, thinking about it today i should be able to remove teh s-video from the trunking as it will be made redundant (apart from the ps2, any ideas?) but all i'm looking at is running the pc into the projector at the moment, a full HCPC will come later in the year when funds allow for a processor upgrade, what confuses me is that if the projector will only accept 640*480 direct then if will it accept a 800*600 or 1024*768 converted to a video signal by the video card and fed in through the s-video input or will it damage it?

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got a ps2 vga cable from liksang

M

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    What comes out the VGA socket and what comes out the s-video socket are not the same thing on a video card. The VGA will carry the computer resolutions (above vga 1024 x 800, 800 x 600) which are RGBHV progressive signals. The video board will down convert these to interlaced 480i(NTSC) and 576i(pal) as 50 and 60Hz for use by a normal TV.

I am unfamilier with the methods used by these boards for this conversion but I'd imagine there would be absolutely no benefit in using higher display settings if you are going to use the s-video output. If you just want to get the PC to the thing then pull out that s-video lead and get a decent length of RGB cable and terminate it.

Gordon,

P.S What projector anyway?

6. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a seleco 400 plus