1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video Craziness

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pygmy Hippo, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please help??

I've just bought an IXOS S-VHS to Scart cable to connect the scart on the back of my Sky box to my Hauppage WinTV's (747 model - i think) S-Video.
    Whatever i do i can't get a signal from the box into the tv card - my sound comes in normal thru the line in but there just isnt a picture.
    I'm newish to this malarkey and i'm not quite sure if the signal is bi-directional (in other words if only one can be the source). There is an arrow on the cable from the S-Video towards the Scart - but i've tried connecting the IXOS cable to the back of my Hollywood+ and into the scart on the TV. There is an image but it will only stay Black and White - no matter the region of the DVD.
    So the question is - Have i bought a duff cable or have i completely misunderstood and bought the wrong product entirely.

I really do need to know 'cos Enterprise is starting on Monday and I really need to replace the naff rips i got off the net!!!!

Cheers

Steve

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    This may seem like a silly answer but are you sure your digibox can send out an S-video signal. There are not many that can. Mine does not, it can only do RGB but then again it is a first generation Grundig.

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    I made the same mistake with this cable but luckily I can use it with other equipmet.
    It is a one way S-VHS -> SCART.

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Rigman's hit the nail on the head.
    It looks as though your digibox is outputting composite at the moment. The black and white signal is how something expecting to see s-video will see composite.

DScaler has an option called composite over s-video in the 'video input' menu.
    Try using this.
    If this doesn't work and the digibox is set to output composite (sky has it called PAL for some reason) then the card isn't capable of supporting it.

You then need a scart to composite lead instead.
    The other way of getting a good quality picture from your digibox is using an rgb to s-video transcoder (a couple have been mentioned on this forum with links). This is probably the best picture you can get out of a digibox. You would then need a scart to scart into the transcoder and an s-v to s-v from the transcoder to the capture card.

The other option is to get sky+ as this outputs s-video (and also has Dolby Digital sound when available)

I still can't believe that sky and ondigital were so shortsighted when designing these things
    :mad:

HTH
    Alex

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    As I said. I've got the same cable. The signal only goes one way.

The only reason there is a picture now is that he is going from S-VHS -> SCART as the cable is wired to work.

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Desmo - your post appeared while I was replying - you may well be right.

The Digiboxes (perhaps steve could clarify which one he's got) don't generally output s-video though.

I misread about the connection to the hollywood+ - I thought he was saying that he got a picture on the PC using the Hollywood+ but I guess he meant on the TV which does follow your theory.

Good luck Steve!

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    DESMO is correct: Svideo out of and in to a scart are wired differently. This is because half of the s-video signal is carried on the same pins as composite video. Pin19OUT Pin20IN. The arrow is direction of signal travel.

The reason you only get black and white when you plug it in with Scart at TV end is precisely as has been mentioned as well. The TV is just recieveing the black and white image sent in on the Composite pins.

Gordon

8. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've been a big chicken - i've taken the cable back to the shop and got a S-Video - SVideo lead and am off tomorrow to buy a scart to s-video converter (is this the same as a transcoder? Forgive my muppet-like questions :) )
    Sorry i've not replied to any of your posts before now : overt thumb pressure meant that i had to go shopping!!! I'm sure the rest of you that are under the thumb will know what a scary thing that can be.

Thanks to everybody for your help

Cheers again

Steve

BTW - The Digibox is a Panasonic for anybody having similar problems.

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Steve
    A transcoder is something completely different

If your Digibox is SKY then I don't think you'll get s-video out of it.

A lead will just send the s-video information through the scart pins down to an s-video plug - no signal conversion.

A transcoder will convert one signal type to another. In your case you may need an rgb to s-video transcoder to get anything other than composite into your hcpc.

Me - I'm sticking with composite for the short term. - I've spent enough already!

10. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know exactly what the box of tricks was - but i borrowed a connector that was scart on one side and had s-video, R+L Audio and a Composite plug, and it seemed to do the job.

Having said that it was late at night and i'd been swapping cables for what seemed like hours and the g/f was wanting to use the telly - so i was probably hallucinating out of pure hope alone!!

Is a transcoder what i have then? My Mum reckons it came with her video camera and the bloke in Dixons reckons they only cost around a fiver (yes i know - never listen to a shop assistant, i was one once and gave out so much bad advice it was untrue :) )

Anyhoo, cheers for the warning - looks like i may not be able to record enterprise in time now. Doesn't matter tho - bloody $ky are broadcasting it in 4:3, might as well stick with my crappy rips!!

Steve

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    A transcoder usually has a mains power supply so yours probably isn't one. It sounds like its just a plug which is taking the scart pins and passing them through to the appropriate seperate connections.

If your getting a picture using this and an s-video lead then you either have a digibox that can output s-video (in which case I'm jealous!) or your card is accepting a composite signal over the s-video lead.

Have you set your digibox to output any particular signal?

Does the edge of your on-screen display look crisp or is there some picture noise?

12. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you may be right about it sending a composite image - certainly if i use S-Video in Power VCR2 or the Hauppage WinTV2000 i get no signal, but if i select Composite then i get one.
    Methinks that could be a big hint :)

The picture isn't too bad - there is a bit of tizzing on edges, sadly the only thing i have to compare it with is a very old and horrifically nasty TV card i was given because my m8 didn't want it (which may give u an indication of its quality!)

How much would a transcoder be? Am i going to have to re-mortgage the house? (AGAIN!!!)

Looks like it may be a long time before my mum gets her gadget back :)

Once again - Cheers for all the help

Steve

13. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you may be right about it sending a composite image - certainly if i use S-Video in Power VCR2 or the Hauppage WinTV2000 i get no signal, but if i select Composite then i get one.
    Methinks that could be a big hint :)

The picture isn't too bad - there is a bit of tizzing on edges, sadly the only thing i have to compare it with is a very old and horrifically nasty TV card i was given because my m8 didn't want it (which may give u an indication of its quality!)

How much would a transcoder be? Am i going to have to re-mortgage the house? (AGAIN!!!)

Looks like it may be a long time before my mum gets her gadget back :)

Once again - Cheers for all the help

Steve

14. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I think they're about £60 and you would need a s-video to s-video lead, a scart to scart and a spare plug socket.

do a search on these forums for 'rgb to s-video transcoder' and you'll find a couple of online sellers. Maplins sometimes do them as well.

you may need a normal stereo phono pair to go from the transcoder to the amp as well (on the pace digibox the scart plug is the only thing that gives pro-logic encoded stereo)

HTH
    Regards
    Alex

15. Pygmy Hippo

Pygmy Hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alex

Looks like i'm going to have to start pimping my body out to the highest bidder - to reach 60 quid may take some time, in fact by the time i'd manage it it'll probably broadcast straight to your retina - $ky would still send it as 4:3 tho!!

Thanks for all the help

Steve