S-VIDEO converter?

M

morphman

Hi

My DVD Player only outputs S-VIDEO and composite.

My AV receiver box hasnt got an S-VIDEO input, so I need some form of converter.

I have got a S-VIDEO to scart, but I suspect thats just converting it back to composite, as it wont work in the RGB scart slots.

I want an RGB Scart, or component connection if possible.

Anyone know of a converter cable to do this?

Standard scart leads aren't converting anything.

Mike.

So I will get the same quality from the composite SCART connection as from a standard s-video connection? are you sure about that? Note the s-video --> scart lead I currently wont work in an RGB scart port

Morphman, what media box? Most have an s-video capable scart input, which one of those switchable plugs with a mini din on will work with.

The media box that came with the Hitachi 42PD3000 doesnt have an S-VIDEO in.

It has 3 scarts, 2 RGB, and 1 composite only. Thats the only scart that will give a clear picture for me with an s-video2scart lead.

I'm shocked! No wonder I didn't like the PD3000, it was instinct. You can get a dongle from Maplins to downconvert, but it seems pointless. Get a new DVD at once, yours is not adequate for a 42" display in any case. Find one with RGB or component. £100 would score you a better one than what you have

Originally posted by morphman
So I will get the same quality from the composite SCART connection as from a standard s-video connection? are you sure about that? Note the s-video --> scart lead I currently wont work in an RGB scart port

Why would it? It's s-vid to SCART. I think you perhaps don't understand the SCART interface.
SCART can carry; composite; s-video; RGB and component video. It can also carry stereo audio for all those formats and also control signals for auto input and widescreen switching. So an s-video to SCART cable, means it is still s-video at the SCART end, it's just the connector that is being changed. Also, unless the cable is two phonos and s-vid to SCART then there won't be any sound on the cable, as s-vid is picture only. You aren't going to be able to upconvert a signal economically, only downconvert to composite. Like MAW said you would be better off with a new DVD player, why undermine the performance of something as expensive as a plasma for the sake of £100ish?

I`m pretty sure at least one of the Scart sockets on the Hitachi media box will accept a S-Video input :confused:

Maybe one of the Hitachi owners can confirm ?

Im gutted, as my DVD player cost £350 12 months ago. I really should have noticed it was composite and s-video only. Buts its 5.1 surround sound is awesome. Perhaps I should keep it as an Audio unit for sound.

What a waste of £400 on Pioneer .

S-video should give a high quality output. However there seem to be some wiring issues that can lead to B&W output etc. Even with high end AV cables.

If you can't switch DVD players I suggest you try a cable from

www.s-video.com

Cheers

Alex

The cable is not the issue, its the ability of the screen to accept the input. £350 for a all in one dvd/surround is nothing. chuck it or stick it in the bedroom, you are well shot of it. Get some separates, you'll be 1000 times better off.

Morphman

Many entry level 'all-in-one' DVD systems only output and switch S-Video and Composite - and for the money the S-Video out is pretty good on the Pioneer systems.

I'd be more hacked off that your Display cant accept S-Video - that's a big oversight for many.

As others have said its time for a new RGB enabled player if you want a better match with your display.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom