1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dolph, Feb 3, 2003.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have just bought the SONY DAVC770 system, now I'm hooking this up to a Sony TV that has two RGB scarts and an S-VHS scart. The DAV system has either component out or s-video out (no scart) so I've got myself an S-VIDEO to Scart cable.

Am I best to put this into Scart 3 (S-VHS) and if I then get myself an S-VHS VCR what do I do?

Can and S-video cable carry an RGB signal?

Andrew

2. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart 3, should be ok but you can probably use Scart 1 or Scart 2 as well.

If you buy a s-vhs vcr you can connect it to the telly using a cable like to one you just bought.

Scart 1 (RGB): sky or digital set top box
    Scart 2 (s-video): DAVC770
    Scart 3 (s-video): S-VHS VCR

No.

As a simple rule you can say that:

Composite: RCA cable
    S-VIDEO: s-video cable
    RGB: SCART

However, SCART cables be used to send/receive composite, s-video or RGB signals.

Things are sligthy more complicated but for the devices you mentioned this should be enough.

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Does this mean I can set the second RGB scart to receive an S-video signal?

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Can someone help on this - can an RGB scart properly accept an s-video signal. Does the sony allow you to change what the scart is going to accept?

5. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1st, 2nd and 3rd SCART should all allow s-video signals.

I would suggest you read the user manual of the TV set. It should explain how to set up the SCART ports.

Probably you do not need to do anything but I think is worth to verify.

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If one of the SCART's is labelled S-VHS then that is most likely the only SCART that supports S-video.

S-video was introduced to the consumer market when S-VHS and Hi8 were released in the late 80's. In the old VHS system, the resolution in the recording is already so poor that it can be fit into a regular composite video signal without much loss, and cannot gain much when recording from a better connection.

S-VHS and Hi8 had enough resolution that they could gain from better connections than composite video, so S-video conections were added. Like composite video they contain a black and white picture (luminance) and a color signal (chrominance) carried on a subcarrier, but they are led through separate wires in the cable. This way they do not interfere and limit each others resolution like they do in a composite signal, where they are added together.

At first, S-video inputs and outputs were found only on said S-VHS and Hi8 equipment and this made people see them as synonymous. Therefore, many companies started calling S-video connectors S-VHS connectors, which is wrong but simple to market. Today those connectors are getting more uncommon as S-video can also be transferred over the pins in a SCART connector. In good (or bad) tradition, SCART connectors that can handle S-video are often labelled S-VHS by manufacturers.

A SCART connector can be made accept any or all of the signal forms (composite, S-video, RGB and even "component") but this is rarely done to all SCART's for reasons of cost. Usually only one SCART accepts S-video and one or two accept RGB, but this may differ on some sets. Reasonably speaking, all SCART connectors should accept composite video.

I have a little more info stored at:
    http://members.chello.se/zacabeb/whims/tvtech/videosignals/index.html

7. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK, as I can't use both a S-VHS video and my DAV through S-video output, can you get a component to scart cable - this way I could use the component RGB output on the DAV to and RGB scart input on the TV and save the S-VHS scart for my VCR.

If you can has anyone give me any suggestions?

8. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andrewdolphin,

you cannot connect directly the component outputs of the DAV to the SCART input of the TV.

A cable alone would not be enough. You would need a converter

components->RGB or
    components->S-VIDEO or
    components->composite

9. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have to make a choice in what device to connect through S-video, I think you should prioritize the AV center and connect S-VHS through one of the other SCART's. Then you will only get composite video for S-VHS, but DVD deserves S-video much more.