1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video Connections Help Please :-)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by digitaldave, Jan 24, 2003.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have an old Panasonic A150 DVD player which so far seems to be doing OK. However, recently, I've been playing around with the connections to try to get the best picture I can with the equipment I've got. Therefore, I've now got the player outputting S-Video from the DVD into the S-Video enabled SCART socket on the TV. The picture is better than using composite. However, would there be any benefit in using the mini-DIN S-Video socket on the DVD rather than the SCART? I've seen an S-Video - SCART cable in Currys (Monster cable I think), would the picture improve at all?

Thanks,

DAve.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Its unlikely you´ll see much of an improvement (if any!). You´ll also lose the AUTO format switching (Full, Panoramic etc) if you use just a normal S-Video to Scart cable.

Try the RGB setting as well, see if that gives any improvement over S-Video (some players do, some don´t).

3. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Jase,

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't considered the auto-switching of picture formats. I currently have a 4:3 TV, so format switching isn't an issue, but I'm looking to upgrade to 16:9 soon, so it's something that I'll need to bear in mind.

Also, the A150 doesn't have an RGB setting, so S-Video is the best I can get at the moment :(. Hopefully, I'll also get a new DVD player with RGB out, thus solving the whole issue ;).

Thanks,

Dave.