S Video Confusion

durera

I have a Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen Flat Panel TFT Monitor, and have just recently bought an el cheapo Freeview box (DigiVision). I planned to hook it up via the svideo connector on the monitor.

My attempts to do so yield two questions:

1) the SCART -> S Video connector I purchased -- the svideo end does not fit into the svideo port on the back of my monitor. It appears the plastic bit that accompanies the connectors is too long to fit. What's going on here?

2) So, I dig up an s video cable that I have (that does fit) and plug that into a SCART -> SVIDEO converter and into the back of the freeview box. The image from this is black & white and very grainy. I figure that the SCART to S Video converter would make any necesary format conversions, so is the monitor at fault, or perhaps the cable, or something else?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Does the Freeview box have a menu that you need to use to change the output mode to S-video ?
Have you tried reversing the s-video cable ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester

durera

Chris Muriel said:
Does the Freeview box have a menu that you need to use to change the output mode to S-video ?
Have you tried reversing the s-video cable ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester
No to both. The Freeview box is very basic and just has scart out, the only setting that can be changed on it is picture format (widescreen/4:3 etc).

I'll try reversing the cable when I get home from work and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks

hamster

Novice Member
Could be that the box only does RGB and Composite. S-video on SCART is a bit unofficial, although higher-end makers do offer it.

Reiner

durera said:
2) So, I dig up an s video cable that I have (that does fit) and plug that into a SCART -> SVIDEO converter and into the back of the freeview box. The image from this is black & white and very grainy. I figure that the SCART to S Video converter would make any necesary format conversions, so is the monitor at fault, or perhaps the cable, or something else?
Scart is a cable / connector type while S-Video is a video signal standard. Scart can carry composite, S-Video or RGB but there is no conversion between the signals.
I assume that your freeview box does not output S-Video, so what you see is a composite signal without the color information (hence it's b&w).

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
If the box you have is the one I think you have, then you only get the choice of RGB or CvBS, the latter of which I belive is composite?

So what you want to do is use a Scart to AV converter block, and then connect a single RCA from the scart block to the yellow RCA input on the monitor.....

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Correct - in that Cvbs = Composite Video Blanking and Syncs (all sent down 1 cable).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

I hope durera hasn't been staring at a blank screen for the past twelve months :)

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom