S-video confused person?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by malcom, Apr 6, 2002.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    First let me explain my set up. Toshiba 32" TV, Satellite reciever and two Panasonic VCRs.

I have just aquired a panasonic DMR E20 DVD recorder and sloted it in to my setup by removing one VCR and re-connecting the scart plugs to the E30 everything works fine and it is a dream machine.

With my old set up I did not have the availability of an "s" video connection on either of my two VHS machines. The Toshiba TV has an option for me to set the scarts to s-video and of course so does the E30.

I set my TV scarts to S-video input and then I set the E30 AV1 to s-video output. The result is a black and white picture. Naturally I have gone back to my original setup mode. I have tried different combinations of turning on or off "s" video option on both the TV and the E30 and alway end up with a B/W picture on playback of the E30

What am I doing wrong?? Malcom.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Black & White pictures are normally the result of feeding am s-video signal into a composite connection.

Are you sure that the scart input on the TV is s-video as possibly not all of them are and you are trying to use the wrong one.

Another possibility is that your scart plugs are not fully wired but I think that is less likely.

3. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Ext1 on the Toshiba is not compatible with S Video,you will get a black and white picture if you input such a signal.Ext 2 &3 should work ok though.Ext 1 is used for RGB input which is arguably better than S Video.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have had another attempt by swapping scart 1 to scart 3 and all seemed well untill I tried to watch Sky TV which came up in B/W when watched but recorded in colour. Try as I might I havent solved that one exept by manually switching the scart to AV when watching Sky and back to "S" video when playing the E30.
    Aaaahggggg.:confused: :confused:

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just a wild guess: can the E20 switched between PAL and NTSC?