1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video/Black and White

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by curlywatts, May 6, 2002.

1. curlywatts

curlywatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the LG DA-3520 Home Theatre dvd player, I read a review on this site so I new there was no scart connection so I bought a switched scart to 2 phono + S-video lead.
    On my JVC tv ( AV28WT5EK ) I have 3 scart sockets, No 1 being RGB which I have my Sky box connected and the other two are free and are both S-video capable, however when I plug the Dvd player into either of these scart sockets I get sound and a good picture but it is in black and white.
    If I switch the S-video function on the telly to composite I get a bit of colour but the picture is not good.
    I can use the scart to phono that came with the kit and get the ordinary composite video signal but I was hoping to get the benefit of S-video.
    I have read other letters with the same problem but I have changed the AV to S-VIDEO.

Any ideas please.
    :confused:

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Sounds like the cable could be faulty, open it up and check the leads.

the fact that you get sound would assume that the signal is travelling towards the SCART and not the other way round, as there are some leads like this.

Is there another TV you can try it out on?

Also have you checked to see if there are any settings on the DVD menu. Even there is no SCART you wouldn't of thought there would be a need to set anything for the video connections, but i've seen stranger things before!

3. curlywatts

curlywatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a set up option on the dvd between s-video and component and I have the s-video selected.

I'll have a look at the plug.
    Thanks.

You were right, when I opened the scart end the wires looked a bit suspect so I took it back and got a replacement and every thing works fine.
    I just thought I must be doing something wrong, I didn't expect a new lead to be faulty.