1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s-video black and white

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cirrus, Mar 29, 2002.

1. cirrus

cirrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am desperately seeking help on how am I going to connect my pc to the vcr and / or tv. this is my setup:

a PC with geforce mx400 with tv out
    a philips 14 inch tv
    a grundig vcr.

from the tv out comes out a Y cable to composite and S-Video. From the s-video out goes a 1 meter cable (svideo to svideo) to a scart plug ( a standalone plug that has an input/out switch and has audio plugs and s-video socket). This scart is then inserted into the vcr, and from the vcr via RF to the TV. The picture is crystal clear..... but all is in black and white :D :D . I tried fiddling around with all the settings I encountered, like switching from pal to ntsc but nothing. The only thing that is acceptable is the composite which has the color.But s-video is much sharper. Any ideas??

thanks ppl

2. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this happen to me once! My setup wasn't as complicated, but the problem was that a pin on my S-video cable was bent ( I assume the one that transmits color) and it wasnt going into the hole in the s-video connection on my t.v.

Look at your pins and see if that's the case. If not, I would suggest trying a different s-video cable - maybe the wire to that pin is damaged.

I hope this is helpful, but please keep in mind I'm not an experienced a/v guy, so if someone here tells you something different, you should probably trust them.

--Adriano

3. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your video has to be s-video compatible for this to work!
    have a look in the manual to see if it is, otherwise you`re stuck with composite.

cheers
    robwells

4. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought my mention of s-video might confuse the question - what I meant my question to be was "Is the pulldown correction on most high-end video cards better than that you would find in a highend dvd player?"

I was to know if I should need to purchase equipment in addition to my projector and HTPC to get the most out of DVD's.

Thanks for the reply though,
    -- Adriano

5. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh man, sorry - please disregard my last post - it was in response to another thread. Sorry if I had people thinking I was not too right in the head.

6. cirrus

cirrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello ppl,

thanks all for your replies. I think that I am really stuck with composite unless I change my VCR or TV !! Oh well !!! Was worth the try. I learned some things at least.

thanks again