1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S Video - Black and white??????

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by brightonrvf, Jan 28, 2005.

1. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Hi all

I got one of those scart to s-video and l/r converters, i plugged it all in and i can only get a black and white screen with the s-vid in, if i take it out and use the video (yellow) instead it comes in colour?????

Any thoughts?

Cheers

BRVF

2. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be a faulty lead.

SVHS lead has 4 pins, two ground, one luminance and one chroma.

One carries B/W info, the other colour (I think - Can't quite remember)

Try getting a replacement cable.

3. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ...are you sure that the input (or output) that you are using supports (or is correctly switched for) sVideo?

If not, you just get composite without the colour....hence black and white...

D

4. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds like you need to set that particular input to receive an s-video signal; at the moment, I would guess that the input you are using is set to receive a composite signal. If you introduce an s-video signal to an input set to receive a composite signal you will always get a black and white picture. You would need to set it via an on screen menu.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The socket you're plugging into at the display end isn't setup for S-Video (a large number of Scart sockets aren't).

Composite video (the one yellow lead) sends all of the video information down that so you're getting the full colour image.

S-Video splits the video into luminance (black and white levels that you're seeing as they're passed through the pin that's also also designated to carry composite video) and chrominance (the colour).

Make sure that you've set your display up to receive S-Video from whichever socket you're using, and if you can't then you'll have to try a different socket. If that doesn't work then I'm afraid your display doesn't accept an S-Video picture.

6. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    I have a VCR (scart plug to a svideo and/or composite) going to a yammy 2500 up to a pw7 so it should be ok re the display. The VCR is a bit old, however, i would have thought that the scart converter.....um converts the signal to s-video in the dongle.

7. johnnyW

johnnyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a converter or an ADAPTOR that you've got? Is it switched? Which end of the connection it?
    And all the points raised above.
    More detail needed on exactly how you've arranged it.

JW

8. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    It is switched and i have it set to output, it is literally a scart plug with ports for red, white, yellow and s-video. It is coming out of the vcr going into the amp for vid/sound switching

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I use one of those adaptors and it doesn't convert the signal at all, it just connects the correct scart pins to the correct socket on the other side.

If your VCR could output S-Video it would be billed as an S-VHS player and would have suitable logos all over the front of it, plus you'd have bought it particularly for this feature. You're going to be stuck using normal composite video I'm afraid but I think your amplifier might be able to upconvert it to an S-Video signal from it's output. This wouldn't improve picture quality but does reduce the number of cables you have going to your display.

Basically, you can't use S-Video from your VCR so you'll need to use a normal composite to your amp. :)

10. gktk

gktk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the same problem when using an svideo to scart adaptor from PC to TV...i purchased one of the adaptors from www.svideo.com and all works fine now.

11. brightonrvf

brightonrvf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Thanks for that. It has cleared up the confusion.
    :beer: