1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video better than Scart?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by image165, Sep 30, 2004.

1. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I have a DVD player and an LCD TV. When I connect the two via an s-video lead, the picture is solid and smooth. But when I connect the two via RGB Scart, the picture has these wavey interference patterns visible in dark areas of the picture.

So, is S-video better than Scart? If it isn't, why is the picture I'm getting using a Scart cable inferior to the S-video?

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scarts may be RGB but have you told the DVD to output RGB and the TV to accept it (This is often necescery). If not then the scart will be sending a composite signal which is much worse than s-video. The other possibility is the leads being different, If it's a decent s-video but a cheap scart it would explain the interferance!

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    In theory RGB should be better than S-Video as RGB uses 3 cables to carry the video signals with one colour on each. S-Video carries colour on a single cable.
    In practice the above is not always true as some equipment will handle S-Video better than RGB and therefore you will get a better picture from an S-Video connection.

Mark.

4. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I've told the DVD player to output an RGB signal via the Scart, and I've told the LCD TV to accept it. I'm using a Vivanco gold plated Scart cable. Despite this, I still get noise in dark areas of the picture, and very faint wavy interference patterns.

Using an S-video lead, on the other hand, provides a perfectly stable, noise-free picture.

Do you think my equipment (Panasonic) works best with S-video, or do I need to invest in one of those £40+ RGB Scart cables?

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sound like whatever interferance the cable is picking up is the cause. So you can either find out what the source of the interferance is and see if it can be stopped or buy a scart like a qed sqart or a ixos XHT601 from a dealer with a nice policy of return if you're not happy!

6. malcmall

malcmall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How do you tell your dvd player to send rgb and the tv to receive it? i thought it was done automatically! :confused:

7. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The options normally in the DVD set up menu (accessable when the DVD's stopped), or a physical switch, normally on the back near the connections.