1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video "better" than RGB!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JER101, Jul 12, 2003.

1. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been setting up my new Pani TX32pl1. I tried RGB and found the colour balance too vivid. So I tried s-video and found this used the colour control. But what was more interesting was using the image quality. When using the THX test grid with the RGB signal the edges of the lines where clean and distinct but the lines where twice the thickness of when using s-video. Of course the edges of the lines with s-video where not as good, even with the sharpness turned down. I also found no shift between the luminence and chrominance alignment which often happens with s-video for some reason. I just got the impression that the s-video had greater definition than RGB, but a bit noisy.

I'm not about to start a s-video is theoretically better than RGB debate. Evidently this set does have a definition problem in RGB if the THX test is to go by. The s-video image is superb, in many ways better than the RGB on my old philips from a distance. S-video was not this good on the philips, which was a let down when using my SVHS VCR.

If this is how good s-video images can be then i'm not surprised it's the standard used in the US. I'm almost tempted to start using s-video switching via my surround amp, buy why introduce extra stages between source and TV. I'll stick to my simple scart switcher, orginally used to switch RGB sources.

P.S. someone posted about a clicking sound when auto widescreen switching. This dosn't happen with s-video, but does happen if you switch between s-video and RGB using the av control on the remote. For some reason the set is switching out of RGB mode which changing aspect, and then back again.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like SVM - this artificial sharpening does make lines look thinner - thinner than it should be.

I can usually tell S-Video from RGB due to this effect

3. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does sound like SVM but there is no reason why SVM shouldn't be applied to RGB. Perhaps it is more aggresive with the svideo or something else.

Alot of TVs just don't do RGB very well.

Also it's gonna depend on the source.

Everything being equal, with a TV that size you are not likley to see that much difference, but the rgb scart will have auto switching and widescreen signaling.

4. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have based a lot of my observations on my old Philips 6305 which sadly died. The lines using the THX test where thin on that in both RGB and s-video. Auto switching/widescreen switching relates to using scart, not using RGB. MY DVD player will supply s-video via scart and switch quite happiliy (without the clicking noise I mentioned previously). My grundig Sky box supplys s-video via mini-din. I have always used s-video via min-din on my video recorder because it's a pain auto switching to the VCR when all you want to do is set up a program to record whilst watching another program on the TV.

5. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i realise WSS is via a scart pin - theres not that many 32 inch displays that will have RGB bncs.

6. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but you implied only RGB scarts supported it. S-video scarts do as well.

7. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When did I imply that?!
    We were talking about RGB and I assumed you were using a svideo cable and not a scart (an s-video cable would be the better choice if WSS isn;t important).

And isn't the scart switcher another stage?!

How is this different to your amp? If your amp is half decent it should be as good as the scart switcher imho.

8. JER101

JER101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Everything being equal, with a TV that size you are not likley to see that much difference, but the rgb scart will have auto switching and widescreen signaling."

If you'd dropped the "RGB" before "scart" I wouldn't have got the impression that you didn't know that s-video scart also supported pin 8 signals. The set in question has a s-video scart so even if I connect using min-din at source end it still has to go to a scart at the TV, and when I do this I do lose pin 8 signals. This is an advantage with the VCR for reasons given before. I happen to be using Ixos scart to mini-din cables for the VCR to TV, and Sky to VCR. I have the switch box's because my configuration was set up for my old philips using RGB. Being passive, this meant my wife could get sky without having to turn on the surround amp. At the moment she will have to get used to selecting AV on the remote. I was thinking of soldering a single cable from pin 8 in the ixos scart plug to a spare scart plug and pick up the WSS from the digibox RGB socket. But then I'd have to connect the VCR to Tv via scart and get the VCR interrupting programs when I don't want to!