1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-Video and how to make the best one

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by cutes6, Jan 21, 2002.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I have been getting interference recently from my 10 meter s-video cable - if I connect my DVD via a short expensive cable its ok so its my long lead that's the problem.

So having had a bad experience of an expensive cable I bought that was not wired up correctly in the past I will make my own.

I am not in the position of trying various 10mtr cables to make sure it will get rid of the interference I am going to have to make the best I can and hope it works!!

So here is my plan - if I get some well sheilded 75ohm coax cable and make 2 runs to keep both sides well insulated I think that will give me the best chance. The bit I am not sure about is how to physicaly connect 2 thickish coax cables into a small s-video plug at each end.

The inteference I am getting is a diagnal cross hatch pattern which remains constant - maybe someone knows what type of interference this might be and give me some clues as to how to solve it - I have looked at various sites on the web but cannot find a picture if this particular interference - all I know is that with a short good lead it dissapears - my worry is that over 10mtrs whatever I do that it will always be there.

Any help on this matter will be of great help - I use an projector and s-video is the only connection I can use - please help as it's taking the pleasure away from my films

Thanks

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think what you are doing should work. What you will need to do is termnate both ends of your cables with good true 75ohm BNC plugs. These can then be used with an adaptor to go fom twin BNC to S-video 4-pin mini din.

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    That's just how I made mine.

Two 12 metre lengths of 'broadcast quality' SDV cable, decent size RG6 stuff, terminated with high quality BNC's, then used an adapter lead at each end to go from BNC to S-video mini din plug.

The Bodgers way is to buy a decent quality 1 Metre S-video lead, cut it in half, then extend it using 75 ohm coax of some sort. Soldered and shrink wrapped of course.

Just make sure you keep the lengths of the cable the same, tape them together, to be sure.

Good luck,

Mark G.