1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S Video and Digital Out

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Jun 3, 2003.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Just been thinking about options for a new PC.

It has been a while since I last brough one and the potential these days is bewildering!

Does any one have their PC linked up to an amplifier via a digital output and then connected to their TV via s-video?

Does this work well, any drawbacks?

2. thr5914

thr5914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my thinking would be if you could keep everything digital, then that would be the best.

right now i got digital coming from my computer then somewhere (and im not sure where) it changes to analog, and im sure i lose quality somewhere in there.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Assuming you mean digital audio to the amp, and s-video from the graphics card to the TV, yes no problem. Virtually all sound cards have a digital out for hooking up to an amp, optical or co-ax or s/pdif.

Nearly all graphics cards have s-video out these days and it works pretty well. The card does the digital to analogue conversion.

If you were meaning digital video to an amp then s-video to a TV, I know of no amps which have digital video in. There are boxes which take a DVI input and then output s-video but they are very expensive. You will need a display, eg a TFT screen or a plasma, with a DVI input if you want to utilise the digital output from the PC without converting to analogue along the way.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Thanks PhilipB, you were spot on with your first assumpation.

Impressive waht you can do with a PC these days, not sure why I ever brought a console now!