S-vid/Dig Audio n00b question

M

m c

I come to you as an uber n00b in the a/v world and will start with a simple question/scenario for which I need an answer:

I just got a new cable box. It has S-vid and Digital Audio outputs. Hooray. My lone S-vid input on the TV and lone Digital Audio input on my amp are already being used by my DVD player. Other than swapping between the two every time I want to watch one or the other, what are my (reasonably affordable) options? Splitters? Some sort of hub? I'm such a n00b I don't even know what those two words mean. Oh my god help.

Thank you.

-m

One solution if there are any spare analogue inputs on your amp would be to use them for the cable box for the time being until perhaps you thought it time to upgrade the amp.

Most amps can also be used to route video signals and if this is the case with yours, you can connect both s-video signals from the cable box and dvd player to the amp with just the one connection needed from there to the TV.

I think the amp has a single S-vid input (stressing the "I think" part). I really don't mind skipping the digital audio from the cable box. Missing Peter Jennings doing a piece on the current economic state of Iraq in digital audio isn't going to ruin my day, but I would like the picture quality S-Vid would provide. Therefore, I'm more interested in somehow splitting the S-Vid from the DVD and cable box. Is there a component that will allow me to do that without sacrificing picture quality?

This isn't an area that I know anything about but a thread here does suggest that passive splitters are not a good idea as they degrade picture quality.

m c

Assuming your Amp does not have the multiple S-Video inputs you require (possibly its more HiFi than AV) your most 'cost effective' solution may be to purchase a NEW AV Receiver.

There are lots of S-Video and Digital Optical switchers around but the combined cost of anything half decent will be about £250.00; the same money will get you a decent AV Receiver with much more than just the extra switching you require.

Best regards

Joe

PS What's the make and model number of your Amp?

I'm such a n00b I didn't even know what component video was until I found it on the Crutchfield website. I took a quick peak behind the TV and on the back of the DVD player and found compenent jacks. Hooray. I ran right out and got some MonsterVideo 2 cables. Thanks guys.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom