1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-VHS worth going for?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Phil.LFC, Jun 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm in the market for a new VCR and was wondering whether to go for an S-VHS model. Do they have big advantages over VHS and are the tapes compatible with VHS machines? i.e. if I record something on a S-VHS tape will my mate be able to play it on his VHS VCR?
    I do have a digital camcorder but I'm not really into editing so I would just like to transfer straight to tape. I know S-VHS would be better quality but would it be better to wait for recordable DVD's to become more affordable for better archiving of camcorder material?
    If I do go for a S-VHS deck could anyone recommend one?
    Thanks,
    Phil.:)

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I personally wouldn't buy any tape based recorder nowadays - its old technology. DVD recorders are out now, £699 is the cheapest I think (were £999), but they will come downeven further in price. You also have the likes of personal video recorders such as Tivo and Sky+, which use a computer hard drive to store and record video on. These have better pic quality than standard VHS and equal SVHS in best quality mode. There is no degradation in quality over time with disc based formats like there is with tapes and you have instant access with no FF or Rew.

You can pick up SVHS recorders now for £200 and under. You don't even need to use the expensive SVHS tapes on these decks nowadays like you used to. Standard tapes will do nicely. If you want to play back a tape you have recorded in SVHS mode on another machine, then the other must be an SVHS deck or if its a normal VHS machine it needs to have a feature called 'Quasi SVHS playback' - which isn't that common.

JVC to a good £200 SVHS vcr.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    What Simon1 didn't say, is that all SVHS machines will also make standard VHS recordings, which are compatible with regular machines. There is usually a physical switch or a menu option which turns SVHS and/or SVHS-ET on and off. Turn it off and you have regular VHS recordings. Turn it on, and you get much higher quality recordings (but which are only playable, as Simon1 says, on suitably equipped machines).

4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56