S-VHS Video output v RGB

sbaddison

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi :hiya:

I getting really exicted about getting Sky + on Tuesday, particularly as it outputs S-VHS!

My TV (Sony 28" FQ75) only has one RGB socket, so to date I've been using a powered scart splitter to cope with RGB from my DVD player & Sky box with no real problems.

Would you say the Sky + picture is much better in RGB when compared to S-VHS?

Any guidance would be much appreciated :smashin:

Cheers,

Simon

To be honest I haven't noticed much difference. If your TV has only one scart, connect the Sky box to the TV, then loop the DVD player through the VCR scart on the back of the Sky box.Then when you want to watch a DVD turn Sky to standby, and the RGB output from the DVD will pass through the scarts and come through on the TV.

Bluevanman said:
To be honest I haven't noticed much difference. If your TV has only one scart, connect the Sky box to the TV, then loop the DVD player through the VCR scart on the back of the Sky box.Then when you want to watch a DVD turn Sky to standby, and the RGB output from the DVD will pass through the scarts and come through on the TV.

Ta. I've got three scarts but only 1 is RGB. The other 2 are S-Video.

I wonder which gives the best picture?

Cheers,

Simon

All things being equal RGB should be better BUT there are many variables that can effect the final outcome down from the quality of the digibox output, the cable and how the TV handles the signal.
Lets not forget your own eyes, two people looking at the same examples of RGB and S-video may have totally opposing opinions on the quality:)

Try both and see which you prefer although there is no w/s switching on s-video or audio and the s-video from the SKY+ is not on the scart socket, it's a dedicated s-video connection.

I had two recorders connected to Sky+ at the same time, and on different TV's too.
To my eyes, there isn't much difference between the two, but you don't get passthru in standby, when you're using s-video.

Hi.

I had a look through the settings on my mate's Sky+ box earlier. The only options for output under picture settigs are PAL or RGB, the same as on my existing ordinary box :eek:

I could have sworn that I've read that the + boxes are able to output in S-Video!

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks,

Simon

A SKY+ has a dedicated s-video socket, if you want s-video then use that.
The TVscart supports RGB and Composite (PAL) and the VCR scart is composite only.

Hi Simon,

If it helps I have...
DVD (RGB) to Sky (RGB)
Sky (RGB) to TV (RGB)
Set Sky+ box to output RGB on SCART
When I switch the DVD player on the DVD RGB goes to the TV regardless of whether the Sky+ box is on or off.
I then use S-Video (S-VHS is a tape recording format) to my projector and optical audio to my amp.

Ive always found RGB to better than SVideo. Its like night and day to me.

Try it! I will gobsmaked if you will be happy with SHVS once youve seen RGB.

Sorry for being pedantic, but (as already pointed out by fortean) SVHS is a video recording format. S-video is a format for video output. Both appeared at about the same time, but they're not the same thing.

Nick_UK said:
Sorry for being pedantic, but (as already pointed out by fortean) SVHS is a video recording format. S-video is a format for video output. Both appeared at about the same time, but they're not the same thing.

Not pedantic - quite correct. Edited.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom