S-VHS VCRs?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Mr_Talentless, May 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Mr_Talentless

Mr_Talentless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My trusty old Panasonic VCR is dying and I'd like to replace it. Having been distracted by DVD, I'm not too au fait with current VCR technology. I'm interested in a S-VHS machine but have some questions regarding the format, can anyone help?...

i) Will S-VHS and S-VHS ET recordings play in a standard VHS machine?

ii) Will I need S-VHS tapes, or will EHG tapes do (since I already have dozens of them)?

iii) What on earth is Quasi S-VHS?

iv) Any recommended models for £300 or under?

Not interested in editing features or flashy gizmos, purely video and audio performance.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I can't find any clear answers online!

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,226
    Hi mate welcome to the forum

In answer to your questions Quasi SVHS playback means a machine with this feature will allow you to play back SVHS tapes all be it only in VHS quality !

SVHS ET allows you to record SVHS on a normal VHS tape but again the higher the quality of tape the better the results,some grain is normally still visible !

IMHO Panasonic make the best machines i think the NVFJ860 would fit the bill (good performance,well built,reliable) and no editing features,I think you should be able to pick one up for under £300 if you shop around.

Cheers Carlos

3. Accident Man

Accident Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Lets see what we can do for you now eh?

i) svhs and svhs et recordings will not playback on a standard vhs deck.
    ii) Your ehg tapes will be fine for svhs et recordings however if you intend to record true svhs then svhs tapes will be needed. If the deck you buy is bereft of svhs et functionality then your ehg tapes will only record at vhs resolution. One other thing, svhs et will not kick in when recording in long play.
    iii) Can't say with any authority (I could hazard a reasonable guess ie. its svhs et in another guise - watch me get lynched if I'm wrong !!)so I won't answer. What I will say here is that the resolution for VHS comes in around 240 lines, SVHS coming in around 400 lines and SVHS ET falling somewhere between.
    iiii) Were I in the market for a deck right now I would probably be giving a serious look at the Sharp VC-S2000HM S-VHS ET or the Panasonic NVHS820BS(you may have to wait on this one, but I wasn't about to offer only one possibility). Both are ET enabled and also come with EP mode(aka super long play) for upto 12 hour recordings, quality might not be great when using this feature but it certainly comes in handy when your on your hols for a fortnight. Check the links below for specs and price.
    Sharp VC-S2000HM
    Panasonic NVHS820BS

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Accident Man ]

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a JVC 6722 available from Dixons and Curry's, It cost me a mere £199!
    Its a SVHS ET deck and I get excellent results with it. The only difference I could see between it and the slightly more expensive JVC models was the lack of Digipure technology (whatever that is).

5. samhassall

samhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JVC are about to replace their S-VHS range with new models in June, therefore you can get some really good deals on outgoing models. I picked up an HRS-8700 (high end edit deck with S-VHS ET and excellent edit facilities). Call Sound and Vision and get one for £270, maybe less now. RRP was £400!

6. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have JVC 9700, probably the best S-VHS deck now.
    Real quality you can get only in S-VHS mode wit S-VHS tape.
    DIGIPURY TECHNOLOGY of JVC is doing great job, picture quality is improved a lot, you must see for your self.
    Good luck.

7. Mr_Talentless

Mr_Talentless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your advice, I eventually went for the JVC HRS-8700 after a bit more reading. I'm stunned at how good this machine is, recording quality is fantastic (even without SVHS tapes) and my pre-recorded tapes have taken on a new lease of life. The Digipure feature really does the business on vibrant colours, concert videos with their intense lighting look great. Love the navigation facilities too.

I've always been a fan of videotape but I had no idea of what was being squeezed out of them now.

I guess I'm preaching to the converted!

Cheers again.

8. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    toshy -DVHS is almost identical to the broadcast image - what`s more , recording digitally on SVHS tapes is just as good - and a pleasant side effect is that a 4hr svhs tape , when recording in short play dvhs, actually lasts 7 hours !!(thats broadcast quality !)

-result !!

9. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) I'm with most of you guys above. I have rediscovered VHS since I got a JVC s-vhs deck using decent tapes. Even my prerecorded VHS versions of the Back to the Future films look good.

10. samhassall

samhassall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice old chap! Where did you buy it from in the end?

I am using TDK S-VHS tapes on my JVC 8700, and the difference is incredible compared to S-VHS-ET. Have you tried a true S-VHS tape yet? If you haven't prepare to be amazed!
    The difference between live and recorded footage is so minimal it's untrue.

I wonder what D-VHS is like then? Oh no, I better stop now!

Glad I could be of help.

11. Mr_Talentless

Mr_Talentless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it from Empire Direct, £260 plus postage.

I've not tried any SVHS tapes yet. Is there a cheap source online?

12. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    again.
    I'm using only FUJI and TDK Pro S-VHS tapes with teh JVC 9700. My advice is the better tape is the better picture will be. And it will last longer.
    You are the recorded broadcast looks olmost the same and the record from DVD looks fine too.
    D-VHS is far better than ordinary broadcast. In HI mode you can tell the difference from JPEG source like miniDV camcorder.
    Good luck,
    EN

13. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused. What's the difference between the HRS6700 and HRS6722? They're about the same price. And is the HRS8700 worth the extra £60?

I'd like a S-VHS machine for about £200, but it must have a "Rec Link" facility (to use with the Sky Personal Planner). Do all of these JVC models have this feature?

14. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just to add to the confusion, what's the difference between the 7600 and the 6700? And can I ask what is Rec Link and where can I find more informationon it?

15. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading through JVC's web site, I think I'm a little clearer. The 6722 and 7600 aren't listed, but comparing the 6700, 7722, 8600 and 8700 it appears the 6700 doesn't have DigiPure but the rest do. All have BEST system and Rec Link. It looks like the 8600 and 8700 have more editing facilities than the other two.

Regarding Rec Link, this is a feature which allows you to set the video timer by selecting programmes from the Sky Program Planner. You don't need to set the VCR as such i.e. no start and end times.

After all that, I'm thinking of going for the Panasonic NVHDS860! Although slightly more expensive than the JVC 8700 it would match my new Panasonic digibox (when I get it) and it can control the digibox itself, instead of messing around with Rec Link. This would be preferable I think because at least then you can pad recordings to make sure you get the end.

Come to think of it, maybe the JVC models can also control a digibox instead of using Rec Link? Now I have a headache! :confused:

BTW you can download user manuals from http://www.jvc-europe.com and http://www.panasonic.co.uk to find out how the Rec Link feature works on the different machines.

[ 30-05-2001: Message edited by: StephenR ]