1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-VHS & Sony STR-DB1080

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CDUD, Jan 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. CDUD

CDUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi new to forum so my apols if this already asked but couldnt find anything.

I have a Philips Plasma bought in Oz and Sony STR-DB1080 AV Receiver bought in UK. I have been trying to connect the Plasma with S-VHS cable from 'Monitor' connection at the back, but my TV cannot pick up the signal. It works fine when I connect my DVD player through S-VHS directly to Plasma. The only way I can get a picture through the AMP is by connecting the screen via composite through the 'Video 1 Out' connections. I would like to see if it is poss to get better SKY picture through S-VHS, but I can only get SKY signal into AMP through composite.

Is this why I cannot get S-VHS signal..I thought this AMP was capable of switching to S-VHS,but not sure if I have to set up the revceiver differently.
    (even connecting DVD to the relevant S-VHS In still doesnt get signal to TV on 'Monitor S-VHS Out'

Any suggestions?

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Welcome to the forum.
    The amp can convert to s-vhs from composite according to the manual (page 11).Is the v.power set to auto ,try changing it to allways on (page 47).

3. CDUD

CDUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bob1

I did try that, but for some reason it still doesn't work. My TV still tells me that there is no signal coming from the amp. I've given up with the manual as, apart from telling me that the amp can convert composite to S-VHS, it doesn't really say how. I think a call to a Sony dealer may be the best approach.

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I'm pretty sure the 1080 does not do upconversion between sources, the replacement 2000QS brought that feature, AFAICR. Cannot find a manual online though.

Mike.

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Acc. to the manual only certain area codes have (limited) upconversion. Looks like the UK one didn't but check for yourself, I'm not claiming expertise. Your area code is locatable by using page 3 of the manual. You'll probably find that the Oz version of the 1080 did have upconversion if Sod's law is in operation.

HTH,
    Mike.

6. CDUD

CDUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't doubt Sod's law for a minute. I'll check the area code and see what I have.
    Tks for the advice

Just had a trawl through vaious Sony sites and discovered that upsourcing only works on USA and CAnada models so might explain a lot.

Thanks for your help though