Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

S-VHS signal from SCART socket?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Darren Blake, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all.

Not really an aplifier question, but it is driven by my intention to connect all my video sources to my Denon 1803 using s-vhs.

Both my Sony VCR and Grundig Sky box have SCART output only. I was planning to use a Maplin SCART to s-video adaptor to extract an s-vhs signal from both. However, I have just learned that not all SCART sockets are wired for s-video support.

I have put a question in the General Hardware forum asking for advice on whether the Maplins products I have chosen will do the job, but in case they are pass-through only, what are the chances my VCR and Sky box will have s-vhs compatible SCART sockets?

I only ask because I cannot physically get to my gear to check this until Thursday, and it is on my mind! Plus my Denon 1803 came in today and as it was a special order they won't take it back if I can't get it to talk to my equipment...

2. dmach22

dmach22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Darren,
    Unless your vcr and digibox can output a s-video signal I'm afraid that this box will be of no use. Most vcr's only output a composite signal through the scart output, unless they are a svhs vcr.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the reply. This was pretty much what I was assuming would be the problem. Hopefully both SCARTs will be s-video wired, but I'm not going to bet any money on it.

All may not be lost, though. Having already bought the box from Maplin, maybe I can use one of their composite to s-video converters to change the source to s-video?

See this thread from "General Hardware"

I'm having to go to all this trouble because I would rather switch all my video sources through s-video than have to run yet another 5m feed to the screen for composite.

Regards,

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chord Co. do nice Scart - S-Video cables for around £40. Carefull how you chose you scart leads because some come with very heavy connectors that tend to fall out...

If your Grundig / TV does RGB, hook it up direct via scart to scart for the best picture.

There are also many good respectable RGB to S-Video converters around from about £25

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can you point me at a website or shop? The only ones I can find are in the £100 bracket.

6. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably a silly question so just ignore it if you think so!

Have you checked the back of your digibox? Most of the Grundigs have s-video out sockets next to the av outs.

DaveP

8. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I am 99.99% sure that mine has not (but I shall kick myself if it does). I'll check again tonight.

Depending on whether my 1803 can switch a composite sync signal to accompany RGB, I may change to RGB for my SKY and DVD interconnects.