S-VHS Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Nike, Dec 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a decent S-VHS recorder. I want better quality from films recorded 'off-air' displayed on my plasma but do not want to make the move to recordable dvd just yet.

Due to past reliability issues, I (probably) would not consider a JVC again.

Are the Panasonics worth a look?

Posting here as there seems to be a shortage of recent reviews.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    Until I read your second para, I was going to say JVC.

I have had 2 JVC SVHS machines in regular, but light, use for about 5 years. And both of them are way, way ahead of the Panasonic they replaced for picture quality. I have experienced no reliability issues.

The only way in which the Pana was better was for its array of socketry on the back, and the speed of the system's reactions to controls. But its SVHS recording quality was dismal in relation to the JVCs.

3. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the reply,
    I only said probably not a JVC; we have a JVC nicam in the lounge that is only about 3 years old that has a very dodgy transport/cassette load mechanism.
    Perhaps I'm expecting too much - endless watching of Barney videos by the kids have taken their toll....
    Happy New Year,
    Nick :)

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    I have just got the Panasonic NV-HS830
    Great improvement on my old Sony VCR for picture and sound.

Played an old TV recording of Pink Floyd in concert and the picture/colours were amazing for an old recording and its only recorded on VHS.

Mark.

5. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im considering buying the Panasonic NV-HS830 at the moment. The cheapest I have found it is at www.empiredirect.co.uk for rougly £145

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    You may be a bit dissapointed with SVHS. It's a bit better than VHS, but it's still a very long way behind live or DVD quality. Had you thought about getting some sort of hard-disk-based solution? I'm rather enamoured of my Sky+ box. Tivo, or some PC-based arrangement would be another possibility. Or DVHS, of course, but I think that's going the way of Betamax (and I say that as a DVHS owner).

7. orangemirrors

orangemirrors

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NicolasB

dont use that beta word i am a dvhs owner aswell and it upsets me to think i have sailed on the wrong boat (although i dont really use it that much because of sky +)

8. jackal_jd

jackal_jd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Panny 830 s-vhs. I have it on a 32" w/s TV. On big screen TVs I dont think it is worth bothering with VHS or SVHS (havent seen DVHS yet). The pic is terrible compaired with 'live' TV and DVDs.

If I were you, I would get a TIVO. There are around £100 and there are not many left. Please correct me if I am wrong - you can use it just like a VCR becuase without the subscription you can only use the timer. However, there is no PDC (that isnt on sky anyway).

You could even upgrade the hard disk as they are very cheap now - about £1 per GB.

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I got a JVC in the end; don't ask what model :confused:
    It was £180 though.
    Connected with S-video cable so I can 'switch' with my amp. It produces quite a nice picture on my Panasonic PWD4.

I didn't want to go the DVD-R/Tivo/?? route at this stage as I only watch a tiny amount of TV and I would still need a VCR of some description as I have tapes of films not on DVD that I watch. (& a big pile of unwatched films recorded 'off-air'!)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions; I'm happy now as I have what is to me a significant improvement over the Sony VHS that I was using (given to the G/F so she's well pleased).

Also the convenience of not having to try & plug an s-video cable into the plasma to over-ride the composite feed when I want to use a games console. (All switched through the amp now :) ).

10. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seem to be differing views re. the Panny 830. I bought one on Friday and am really disappointed with the picture - lots more grain than with the 610B it's replacing.

MarkE19, you think it's great, but jackal doesn't rate it. Who's right?! I need to know whether I've got a duff machine or if I'm being unreasonable in expecting the 830 to be better than my 610.

11. jackal_jd

jackal_jd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have it on a 32" Sony Widescreen (KV32FX66) so it is a little grainy if you look at if from about 1m away but if I sit 2-3m away it is ok. Obviously it is more grainy than a digitalk source eg. DVD or Sky+.

Personally, I am happy with it, however I use my sky+ instead for obvious reasons.

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    All I can suggest is that you get a demo of another unit in a shop. I like it, but as has been said, it will not get even close to the picture of a DVD. After all it is only an upgrade to VHS :D

Mark.