1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-VHS quality

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by robcat, Jun 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. robcat

robcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just tried my new machine (JVC 6722)in s-vhs mode for the first time with a TDK XP tape and I must say I am a little disappointed with the results. It is of course mush better than conventional VHS and S-VHS ET (with which I was not impressed - but I was only using cheap tapes). The picture is much more steady and the resolution is close to the original Digibox picture, however I would say the colour performance is noticably worse than the original broadcast. There appears to be a lot of instability in large areas of strong colour particularly deep reds and blues. They are quite noisey and flickery. I would definitely not say the picture is "broadcast quality".

Am I expecting too much? I realise on a 32" TV even hi-band will show its' faults, just as broadcast pictures do.
    Is it because the VCR is a budget unit? Would machines higher up the range perform better?
    Or is D-video the only way of truly getting recordings that are indistinguishable from the original?

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you are recording the composite picture and have all of the picture options (TBC etc.) turned on.

I am a little shocked at what you have found, I find the recording from composite very good but having a Grundig digibox I do tend to record the s-video output from that. After years of VHS I certainly find the JVC S-VHS offering very good but it is still an analogue system.

Of course digital recording is still only going to be any good IF you can record the digital bitstream otherwise the chain will be digital->analogue->digital->analogue. The new Sky hard disk recorder (if it ever happens) should at least give digital->digital->analogue.

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    the only way to get flicker free reds and blues on s-vhs analogue recording is to use DIGIPURE technologie from JVC. You must take higher machine 7700 - 9700.
    I have 9700 and there is such problem with my recordings.
    Regards,
    EN

4. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,687
    Rob,

Some bad news for you. The SVHS specification has the same colour bandwidth as the ordinary VHS. So the colours will look blurred. It is only the luminanace (the whites and blacks) which has a higher bandwidth. Sorry - better to go digital!

5. robk

robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cliff,
    This explains a lot about my complaints with the colour reproduction. I was expecting improvements in the wrong area.

I might consider a machine with Digipure as suggested by EN since prices for these machines aren't much higher.

6. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Panasonic 860 with the 3D DNR colors are fantastic and perfectly stable almost like the original broadcast... with the right S-VHS tape!

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want better signal to noise on S-VHS you should first obtain a machine with DNR (Dynamic Noise Reduction) and TBC (Time Base Correction).<br />I have for some years now been using Fuji H471S Tapes. I find these give me a much less noisier picture than the TDK range.<br />Better still try the JVC DF300 DVHS tape. these are available from KVJ Fairdeal (see add in What Video TV)<br />It should be noted that, these tapes, although offer exellent results will not take continual timeshift but, are ideal for archiving valuable recordings.