S-VHS playback on ordinary VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by a.lang, Jul 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I buy an S-VHS VCR and record in S-VHS ,will I be able to play the tapes on other peoples ordinary (non-S) VCR's ?I cannot quite get a definitive answer to this having done quite a bit of searching.
    Obviously they would not play back in "S" quality,but will they play back in normal VHS quality ? Thanks.Andrew.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    No, SVHS recordings will not play in a bog standard VHS VCR. I don't even think a VHS VCR will load an SVHS tape, but could be wrong as I've not tried.

Mark.

3. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The tapes will load, the only physical difference is an extra hole on S-VHS tapes and higher quality tape.

You can play them on QuasiS-VHS decks. Otherwise if they play at all the colour will be missing and you should expect interference, been a long time since I tried this but I think my old VHS deck simply displayed rubbish.

4. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.Sounds like S-VHS tape will load but unless it is another S-VHS VCR,or a quasi S-VHS VCR,they will basically not play.
    Are there any S-VHS VCR's which will allow the choice of "S" or normal recording,so that I could record in "S" for my own consumption,and record in normal if I am likely to play the tape elsewhere on a non-S VCR ?
    I know it sounds like I want it all ways, but I need a new VCR,and would like to get an S-VHS type,but only if I can in some way make recordings which can be played on other peoples non-S decks albeit non "S" quality. Thanks,Andrew.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    AFAIK all SVHS VCR's will record standard VHS onto a standard VHS tape. They will also record quasiSVHS onto a standard VHS tape, but this will only play in an SVHS VCR and IMO is no better PQ than a standard VHS recording.

Mark.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Any SVHS machine will record "standard" VHS if you want it to. Either by usuing a non "S" tape, or by a switch or menu setting to disable SVHS.

7. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent Mark and Nigel,thanks.
    I know its going to take me a while to get a twin tuner PVR and DVD recorder set up,which really I know is the way to go.I tend to research too much and make decisions slowly !
    In the meantime my VCR is terminally defunct so I need one,if only to give camcorder tape copies(of our new baby) to relatives who only have,and only ever will have basic VCR's !
    Sounds like I might as well get an S-VHS VCR as it will do everything a normal VCR will do and give me better quality timeshifting at home(in S-VHS mode) while I am waiting to get a PVR.Also they don't seem much more expensive than normal VCR's,in particular there seem to be a lot of JVC's at good prices.
    Presumably one with an s-video input on the front will help with the camcorder(recording from the camcorder will also be new to me).
    I don't know which one I'll get but this thread has helped me make up my mind to get one.So,thanks again all.Andrew.

8. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Normally called SVHS ET...

QuasiSVHS can also refer to VHS decks that can playback S-VHS recordings (with reduced quality but better than VHS). Pretty rare though.

9. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again.
    I'm looking at JVC HR-S5975 and Panasonic NV-SV121EBS models.
    These run at £83 and £145 approx. from internet sites.
    I can't quite see why the latter costs nearly double the former.
    I would love it if anyone had an opinion,knowledge or experience here.
    Any ideas ? Thanks.Andrew.

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The Panasonic has a 'Time Base Corrector' (TBC) and you will always pay extra for this feature. This basically provides a better more stable playback on some tapes.

It's worth having if you plan on transferring old home movies to DVD at a later date.

Be warned, sometimes the TBC can make playback worse. I have it on my JVC SVHS VCR and I always check playback on with and without TBC before transferring to DVD.

11. a.lang

a.lang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.It looks like the JVC does not have an s-video socket which presumably will make recording from mini-DV camcorder a major PITA or even impossible.I don't know as I have not done it before.The Panasonic has S-Video in on the front and out on the back.
    I have emailed JVC UK to ask how to record from camcorder on this machine.
    I have downloaded both manuals from the relevant websites to get the above info.This might mean the Panasonic although much more expensive is the one to get.
    Pricerunner.co.uk indicates that JVC and Panasonic are the only S-VHS decks you can now buy new in UK at reasonable cost.If anyone knows different please post. Thanks again.Andrew.

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    No S-Video socket!?

I assume they expect you to route a camcorder through the rear SCART, which will be s-video compatibe but not a very practical method as you may have a digi stb using the scart.

I have had a several SVHS vcrs since the early 90s and have seen them go from quality machines paked with features, sockets and excellent playback to the more recent barest of bones lightweight, not much better than VHS quality excuse for a VCR.

Obvioulsy this all helps to keep costs down, but the omission of a dedicated s-video socket just makes it pointless and hardly worthy of manufacturing them at all.

Ditch the idea and invest in a DVD recorder instead.