S-VHS on VHS tapes. Not S-VHS ET.

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by motta_lunn, Oct 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

Has anyone tried recording in S-VHS mode on a VHS tape - this is possible. All you have to do is drill a wee hole on the back of a normal VHS tape, somewhere along the horizontal line groove (have a look at a S-VHS tape and you will see the hole, then just copy it).

I don't have an S-VHS ET deck and am too much of a cheapskate to buy S-VHS tapes so I do this method. It does work - subtitles are also recorded which shows that the VCR is capturing the extra bandwidth. Picture quality is also improved but not to the extent of S-VHS mode on a true S-VHS tape.

Has anyone else tried this? What do you think of the quality?

Cheers!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,885
    I tried it once, a long time ago, with a Panasonic VCR and TDK EHG Hifi tape. The results were virtually unwatchable.

If you ARE going to make holes in you cassette shells, I strongly recommend MELTING them in (using a heated metal rod), rather than drilling. Drilling leaves bits of plastic swarf lying around and if any of these makes contact with your video heads it will likely kill them.

3. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, depends on what tape you use and what mode (SP or LP) the results can be amazing or unwatachable like you said. I use Sony tapes and the majority of time it is OK.

Your right about melting it. Wee bits of plastic do float about inside the tape which does not sound too healthy.

Do you have any other S-VHS tips?