1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S/pdif to phono to amp what cable ???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gil2, Oct 29, 2005.

1. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the back of my Pc guys i have a s/pdif yellow plug , that a phono cable fits , can i use a normal phono cable from there to my amp to carry digital , or do i need a special cable with phono connectors??

2. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think you need a 75 ohm cable (better screening?) rather than a streight forward phono cable (see the link for illustration, nowt to do with me) http://www.dv247.com/invt/472

Cheers

3. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    However, any regular phono cable will work.

4. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as i just found out :)

oh i am so happy ......i now have my media pc running in one room and audio video on my telly and through my amp......wahhooooo

5. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Miike,

Not being technical I took the cable requirement at face value and used a 75ohm connector for spdif but, as they are both using the same rca plugs I can see why they would both work. Given most spdif cables (coax) seem to be specifically 75ohm is there any benefit to using them, like longer runs, or are we dealing with cable hype in your opinion?

Chris

6. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    At the risking of starting a "my cable is better than yours" debate, IMHO, it's cable hype. Then again, I fall into the "bits is bits" camp on such matters - so draw your own conclusions. I will nevertheless concede that over long distances or "noisy" environments there might be a difference, perhaps manifesting as audible drop-out.

7. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am not qualified to say better or worse , i no jack sh*t , what i do no is i have good ears and from my Pc s/pdif through standard phono to a Yam amp with dts capabilitys as well as all the other bells and whistles its got and finaly ending up coming out mission floor standers and 2 RCF studio speakers as rears its sounds great

each to there own ....but standard phono seems to work for me :thumbsup:

8. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't worry I'm not a troll, just interested if there wasa technical reason for the different types of cable being marketed. I use a 75ohm cable for my sub connection (because I bought it by mistake so I know that they conduct a signal in the same way).

Welcome to the world of DTS

Chris

9. gil2

gil2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries m8 , tbh i already use DTS in my front room from my Pany DVD via Tos to my amp so i already no the benefits of DTS , but going from Pc to amp is a whole new ball game and at the mo the Phono cable by luck does the job :D , its what i had hanging around , like anything though there is always gona be the arguement , more expensive is better

my view is ...if it works and sounds good go with it , be it phono cable , house mains wire , or cat 5 :D or silver jubilee which feeds my mission floor standers from my Nad :thumbsup:

10. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree, I don't subscribe to more expensive is better, particularly with interconnects, I made my own cat5e speaker cables because I wanted to triwire my speakers and just balk at the prospect of £1000 of cables whatever the system. That said I am using a Studio 3 sub!

Chris

11. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Obviously there is a difference between analogue connections (like between an amp and a sub) and digital spdif connections (where all that matters is whether the bits are arriving or not).