• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

s/pdif to 3.5mm jack

jerry

I want to connect the digital sound output from my Humax 9200 which is an optical connector to the digital in to my tv which is a 3.5mm stereo jack.
Can it be done? anyone know

RBJTech

Novice Member

jerry

Thanks Teerex for the reply and for querying that point. On the back of my TV it clearly says that it is a digital audio in it is for and I quote Dolby Digital (AC-3)mpeg2. I can,t say as I fully understand what that means but does that mean I need a 3.5mm Toslink convertor which plugs into the end of a standard toslink cable.

RBJTech

Novice Member
In short yes - what you describe is DD 2.0 which is a 2 channel version of DD 5.1 ... so yes, use the convertor and you should be good to go. :smashin:

One last thing - make sure you set the Humax to output a digital AC3 stream - it may have options such as PCM, DD - so make sure it's not PCM.

jerry

TeeRex,
I thought I had this sussed, Surely I need an Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Convertor? Or as Maplins puts it:-
· Converts optical (Toslink) digital signals to electrical (phono) · Includes plug-in mains power supply · Solves problems connecting digital audio equipment with incompatible connections ·Ideal for Home Cinema and hi-fi use-Converts the optical digital output from a Toslink to an electrical S/...

L74BA TOS - Coax Covertor 193 in Stock £12.99
Does this make sense?

RBJTech

Novice Member
jerry said:
TeeRex,
I thought I had this sussed, Surely I need an Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Convertor? Or as Maplins puts it:-
· Converts optical (Toslink) digital signals to electrical (phono) · Includes plug-in mains power supply · Solves problems connecting digital audio equipment with incompatible connections ·Ideal for Home Cinema and hi-fi use-Converts the optical digital output from a Toslink to an electrical S/...

L74BA TOS - Coax Covertor 193 in Stock £12.99
Does this make sense?
:confused: - where does Coax or phono come into it ? You originally said that the Humax 9200 had an optical digital output (which will be a Toslink connector if optical..) and that the digital input on your TV was 3.5mm - the only way this can be digital is a Mini Toslink connector which is what the link above provides. Therefore you just need a 'normal' toslink/optical cable and the toslink to 3.5mm (mini toslink) convertor. Connect them up, job done ...

If you look into the 3.5mm hole when the TV is on, you 'should' see that it is red (don't stare into it though!) - hence the optics... if not, then it's probably not optical at all ... :rolleyes:

If this doesn't work then photo's would be good !

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom