Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

S/Pdif on Asus A7V8X

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pcpaz, Jan 9, 2003.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying a new sound card to improve the quality. I am currently using the onboard card on the Asus A7V8X m/board.

The m/board came with some kind of S/pdif attachment with gold output connectors. Am I right in thinking if I attach this to the m/board and then use the output from the s/pdif to my amp this will improve sound quality, or should I just get a new soundcard?

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have just used the "spdif attachment" that came with the A7v8x which is my desktop machine and attached it in the A7V333 that I use in my HTPC so this is nearly what your asking.

I think that the quality is okay and compares to other cheaper sound cards that I've tried, I dont think there will be any massive difference using any of the mifrange cards if you are just using the spdif out.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    There MAY actually be an advantage in using an onboard sound solution if it bypasses the PCI bus, it COULD lead to smoother DVD playback. Just a theory, my new P4 mobo has onboard spdif for me to play with.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'vew been thinking about that exact issue. Just got 4 new PC's for work, 1 of which will double as a media machine, run a plasma display and audio. I have stuck with the motherboard spdif for the minute, on the basis that I have USB for an instant upgrade if it's terrible, and can later install a card. Eventually they keep threatening to put a whole PC on one chip, giving us no choice in this, so it might be as well to get used to the idea.

5. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you just connect the s/pdif to the m/board and then connect a single rca cable from the s/pdif output to the s/pdif input on the back of the amp. I'm just guessing here as I don't have a amp at the moment.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Spot on, are you building the pc? It should be connected or more probably part of the PCB internally already. It'll probably be a 3.5mm jack externally, which you will need to make up a lead for.

7. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, spot on;) If your using XP the drivers will be automatically loaded if a clean install as they are standard Cmedia ones.

No just to clarify its a standard coaxial socket so takes a 75ohm coaxial cable.