Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

S/PDIF Dropouts

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SimonInd, Jul 25, 2005.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having run a HTPC for nearly 2 years I'm getting a little frustrated at an intermittent problem I'm having with what will hopefully be my replacement HTPC. While watching a DVD that is either DTS or DD5.1 the sound periodlically cuts out. There's no real pattern to it and if I downmix to Stereo/ProLogic and send that over S/PDIF I have no problems. This suggests the S/PDIF link is fine and that the problem is elsewhere. I've tried most of the available decoders/filters to no avail so I'm guessing there's some sort of hardware conflict or an I/O related issue. My configuration is as follows:

DELL 8400 ( 3.4Ghz, 1GB, 400GB SATA, NEC DVD+/-RW )
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    Gigabyte Fanless nVidia 6600GT
    Hauppage NOVA-T

This is networked to my old HTPC via the wireless net and directly via a length of CAT5. Oddly when watching the DVD accross the network (wireless) I didn't seem to get any problems, however when using the wired connection or the local drive the dropouts came back.

I'm reluctant to re-build the machine as its a reasonably clean build, if anyone has any ideas they'd be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    I'm just guessing, but could it be an interupt/IRQ conflict between the network card and m-audio? You could try moving around the cards into other PCI slots.

Off topic: personally I'm a bit fed up with my m-audio card - it pops and crackles on some sources. I've tried juggling my cards and changing latency settings but to no avail.

3. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will that make any difference? Does a different slot=different IRQ?

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My M-audio card does this too, it does say in the manual the prefered slot to put it in, I havn't got round to it yet, how did you get on?

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Apart from installing the latest drivers, I'd also bung it in a different slot, let windows sort it out and have another go. Some PCI slots are shared, the motherboard manual might help here, basically it sounds as if its the same issue as soundblaster cards had in the past in that they refuse to play ball in some slots due to poor Plug and Pray implimentation. Personally I prefer the RME card but......

6. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had an old DIGI32 card in there but that gave dropouts with the Hauppage NOVA-T so I switched it for the M-Audio one. Anyway I swapped the slots for the NOVA-T and the Audiophile 2496 and although I haven't watched a film all the way through it seems to have done the trick with the discs I have tried.

The Audiophile is now in the end PCI slot, furthest from the CPU and graphics card, but I couldn't see anything about slot choice in the Manual.

Thanks again, it's nice to get back to a properly functioning HTPC. Now to get MediaPortal working.....

Simon

7. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I started watching Punch Drunk Love and the dropouts are back - arse!

Probably going back to the DIGI32. One question, if I just want S/PDIF is there much difference between a RME 9632 and the much cheaper 9636?

Thanks

Simon

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    I fixed a few minor 'pops' i was getting on mine by moving to the end slot, and switching to a mark grant custom breakout cable... unfortunately I did both at the same time, and couldn't be bothered to go backwards and see what actually sorted it..

I'm not using the 2496 currently, you can borrow the breakout cable to try out if you're interested?

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I'd substitute the SPDIF cable for something of known quality just in case.....
    As for RME card differences, I've only ever used the 9632 or the Digi24/96 card....

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ive got a good cable, mark grant stylee

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hmm, I still get the odd 0.5 second dropout now and them, drives me crazy, could it be the motherboard?

12. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It could be your amp doesn't like it, I had my Shuttle connected to my cheap Yamaha amp and experienced dropouts, since upgrading to a Pioneer I have had no problems at all.