s: Dolby Vision compatibility

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kudell, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kudell

kudell
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI, I have an Oppo 205, Denon 7200WA and Sony VPL-VW550ES (675ES), as far as I can tell there are updates to the Oppo and Denon for Dobly Vision, however, I do not know whether my projector is compatible.

2. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    no projector can show dolby vision that is currently on sale as far as I know

3. REJI

REJI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Not sure if it helps. I have the Sony 260. When watching Dolby vision it just changes within the pj menu to hdr 10 and plays fine, this is the Apple TV 4K I’m using

I’ve read or heard there might be a Dolby vision up date for Sony projectors but not 100%

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,112
    The Apple TV is converting the DV stream to HDR10. The whole point about DV is that it has tone mapping file specific to the display that is in use. How you do tone mapping depends on several characteristics of the display, possibly the most important ones being how much dynamic range you have and what peak white level you get. With a direct view tv Dolby know exactly what these parameters will be as they can create their chosen preset. With a projection system this is never going to be possible. Dynamic range and peak white depend on what light output mode you are using on the pj, the gain of the screen, the size of the screen, the distance of the PJ from the screen, the age of the lamp, the decor of the room.....none of which Dolby have control over. This issue is also why HDR10 can look so bad on most projectors as the PJ manufacturer is equally as stumped as to what to do...

5. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Presumably those things could be set by a user (or expert calibrator)and stored in the projector as part of set up and retrieved by the source device ? I know pj’s don’t support it at the moment but it seems doable.

6. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,917
    It is do'able but Dolby would have to care enough (ie think they could make money out of it) to make it happen. There's no indication yet of this being the case.

Involving a calibrator in setup would unfortunately take the small number of projection users and divide it by - I dunno - maybe 100?!

The only kind of system that I could see flying would be something automatic - a sensor from the lens pointing at the screen that could read the peak white for the given screen size. And at that point it is quite a level of complication to get integrated. DV has then become not just a $2 license, but something that needs $50 of hardware.

In the case of direct view TV; the adjustment DV makes to the image is relatively slight. With a projection display you might have a factor of 50 or 100 or more difference between the achievable peak white and the content. My honest impression is that what Dolby does with DV isn't actually that "smart" - so the current DV implementation replacing the max TV luma capability with the max PJ luma capability probably wouldn't deliver a brilliant result either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List